Tacky...now what?

Fiberglassing over plywood and one-off fiberglass methods. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: ttownshaw

Big Boat Guy

Tacky...now what?

Post by Big Boat Guy »

I epoxied a single layer of fiberglass on the bottom of my jon boat. I screwed up somewhere either due to temp, ratio slightly off or mixing and the surface is tacky. Already built a heated tent and tried to get it cure further with no success. I’ve started to try sanding with limited success. With many sanding discs and elbow grease it feels like I can get the gunk off and down to the glass. At that point it feels smooth and not tacky. The question is am I kidding myself? Is that epoxy which may not me fully cured in the glass going to be an issue down the road? If I’m going to try and peel off the glass the time is now. What do you suggest?

Roberta

Re: Tacky...now what?

Post by Roberta »

Depending on what resin you used, the gunk might be amine blush. This is washed off with soapy water. Recoating within 24 hours without sanding is fine. Otherwise the blush needs to be cleaned off between coats and surfaces sanded.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

What temps were you working in when you fiberglassed? How long did you heat the space with your tent setup?

You might be spending some hours with a heat gun and putty knife soon and peel it up and start fresh.

Big Boat Guy

Post by Big Boat Guy »

My boat isn’t tacky anymore! I washed it with soapy water and a scotch brite. I still can’t believe it worked. Thank you Roberta. That saved me a lot of time and $$$.

My garage was 60-65F when i fiberglassed last time. When I was done though I turned off my garage heater figuring I was near my set time. I’m now thinking that as it cooled thats when amine blush formed on the surface due to moisture. When I built the tent I had it at 95F for 3 hours. If I’m going to epoxy again this winter I’ll have to built the tent again.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Glad that worked out for you. I experienced that in my earlier days of working with epoxy. Certain brands and types will blush more. Conditions will also exacerbate the phenomenon.

System Three has a great epoxy handbook on their website. Glen L sells all their products.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Good glad it wasnt actually not setting. That would not have been fun.

Return to “Fiberglass”