Silicone bronze vs. composite fasteners

Tips for new builders from old builders about things they might have done differently if they had it to do over again.

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

Williamdor

Silicone bronze vs. composite fasteners

Post by Williamdor »

I'm looking ahead to building a boat from Glen-L plans, but know that I'll be weary hammering (and subsequent bending of nails and then their removal) of the silicon bronze ring shank nails. Gayle confirmed what I had concluded, collated or coiled silicon bronze ring shank nails do not currently exist. She recommended that some builders used Raptor composite brads and finish nails with a Raptor nail gun(s) instead of conventional silicon bronze. She knew of no problems with the composite alternative, but said that testing had never been done by Glen-L to confirm that these Raptor finish nails and brads were a suitable replacement for silicon bronze. I saw this link https://www.boatdesigns.com/Raptorreg-F ... ducts/926/, but wanted any subsequent opinions on the subject.

Regards,
Williamdor (a newbie)

JimmY

Re: Silicone bronze vs. composite fasteners

Post by JimmY »

I used the ring shank nails to assemble my frames per G-Len plans. When it came to attaching the plywood skins, I switched to SB screws since i didn't like the idea of hammering on my frame.

I think the Raptor fasteners are mostly used in cold molding construction to hold the layers of plywood in place while the epoxy sets up.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Williamdor

Re: Silicone bronze vs. composite fasteners

Post by Williamdor »

JimmY,

Thanks for the feedback and for explaining where you thought Raptor composite nails had their place. I do like the idea of using SB screws instead of ring shank nails as you described.

Regards,
Bill

Return to “"I Wish I Had..."”