Cleaned up my epoxy 'spills"

Tips for new builders from old builders about things they might have done differently if they had it to do over again.

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

graham mackay

Cleaned up my epoxy 'spills"

Post by graham mackay » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:34 pm

I had the crazy idea that epoxy runs would be easily cleaned up "down the road". Now months and to be true years later they are as hard as steel, not easily reachable with any sanding device and will likely remain as a permanent reminder of my earlier carelessness. New and current builders :CLEAN UP AS YOU GO!
Best wishes
Graham
I am presently constructing a Glen-L HERCULES, hull basically complete.Am going to fiberglass and paint bottom and then turn over. Sides to be planked with10mm yellow cedar edged bead and cove . Engine is Mitsubihi 4-cyl. 39 crankshaft hp.

hoodman

Re: Cleaned up my epoxy 'spills"

Post by hoodman » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:43 pm

Yup, it takes a pretty sharp chisel after the fact. You're usually beat after finally screwing down the planking but it's worth it to crawl under there anyways and clean up. I know I've got a few runs that are just going to be permanent. Most are under the floor though.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:43 pm

So true!
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:33 am

Yes, very true. I've managed to keep up with most of the squeeze out as I go, but there were some areas that were not done until later. In this heat, I regret that decision every time I have to clean up those hardened drips.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “"I Wish I Had..."”