Count Down

Time to start planning another GREAT time together with Glen-L boats and Glen-L boat builders!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

DrBryanJ

Re: Count Down

Post by DrBryanJ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:02 am

Just got a call from Hales Bar. They are requiring the first day paid in full. Didn't say if it was refundable or not. I didn't give them a payment yet, but I think they want it by tomorrow.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Well... I guess I understand their situation. People tie up a room and then just no-show. They might have rented the room. We usually have someone that fills the room.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:13 am

I spoke to Tony again last night. He will have the new owner call me when he gets back to Chattanooga within the next few days. I think he needs to know how significant our group is to his September business. This deposit thing is not that big of a deal, but it is somewhat annoying. Let me see what I can do, and I will also put a word in for Tony.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:12 pm

I just got my call from Hannah at Hales Bar. I did need to make the one night deposit for our cabin. The cancellation policy is a bit harsh as you are obligated to the dates you reserve and refunds are in the form of credits. You are also required to acknowledge the policy with a return email. Here is the policy.

Roberta

YOU WILL NEED TO SEND RECEIPT OF CONFIRMATION BACK TO US TO VERIFY THAT YOU AGREE WITH THE CANCELLATION POLICY.
The details of the reservation are below, as well as any charges and/or deposits to your account.
Site Reservations unless otherwise noted are subject to change due to the nature of our business.
Please contact us as soon as possible if any corrections are necessary.

Cancellation Policy: You are obligated to the dates you reserve. If you make reservations and do not show up you will be charged for the entirety of your reservation. Due to the nature of our business and the limited amount of cabins and RV sites available, NO CASH REFUNDS will be given due to cancellations: however, if you need to reschedule due to any unforeseen reason, we will reschedule one time only. Credit for early check-out will be given only in the form of a Gift Certificate.
SMOKING: We do NOT allow smoking in ANY of our cabins. If housekeeping reports that you have been smoking in a cabin, we will charge your credit card on file $200.00 plus turn your information in to the state and they have minimum fines starting at $300.00 that you will have to pay for smoking in a public building.
PETS: If you are renting a cabin, you must let us know that you are bringing a pet so we can put you in a pet friendly cabin. If we see that you have a pet without paying the pet deposit you will be charged $200 per pet in cabin for extensive cleaning. Pets must be kept on a leash while out and cleaned up after, if you are seen not cleaning up after your pet you will not be allowed to bring pets in the future.
ALL BOAT RENTALS: Boat Rentals must be filled up with gas and oil upon return. If you fail to do this, our staff will fill it and your card will be charged accordingly.
Trash Receptacles are provided. PLEASE DO NOT LITTER.
Quiet Time: 11:00pm CST until 7:00am CST.
Illegal Intoxicants and Firearms are strictly prohibited.
------ THE MANAGEMENT
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:50 am

New owner has not contacted me yet. I will make a point of getting in touch with him this week. Sounds like we lost some flexibility. Let me see how I make out. Maybe he needs to look at what our group does for his business in "Slow" September and lighten up a little on the deposit/refund policy. I will report back....

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:39 am

I don't have a problem with their policies except I think a full refund is appropriate when a reasonable amount of time is given if a cancellation becomes necessary. Maybe forfeit the deposit if cancelled less than a week from checking in.

Roberta

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:43 am

I agree with Roberta on the refund policy. First: We often get the rebooking of the cabins ourselves. Second: A couple of years ago our cancelations were people who had to work after a hurricane. You can't plan that. Third: As Neel said, we book probably about 80 to 90 rental nights, not to mention the ships store and fuel. Forth: Will we need to rent the floating patio or the top floor of the restaurant on Thursday night? I think that I have money in the kitty for it. But, we may need to raise replacement money for the kitty.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:05 am

Here is some new info on Hales Bar:

Yesterday Hannah and I had several email conversations along with a phone conversation I had with Bill trying to get the "deposit policy" fine tuned for our group. She and the new marina owner (Daryl) were also talking back and forth trying to reach a compromise for us. This morning I got to talk to Daryl and he is going to work with us. So here is the new version of the policy:

If the cancellation is done at least 14 days prior to the date of check in, there will be a full refund. If the cancellation is done after the 14 day rule but before 48 hours prior to the check in date, you will get half of your deposit back. If the cancellation is done between 48 hours prior to the check in date and the check in date, you will get a gift certificate for the full amount of your deposit. Also Daryl told me that if a weather event such as a hurricane would cause us to cancel the weekend, he would give us a raincheck for another weekend.

That is the best they will do, and the only thing I don't like is the gift certificate thing. The deposit will be the charge for one night of your stay. Also if you have not booked yet, You need to book by May 1st to get the same rates as last year. Booking after that may cause a slight increase. I think you may also be charged a cleaning fee of $29.00 for a "one room cabin" and $10 additional for each additional room. The cleaning fee is still a big question mark.

Please call Hannah to reserve a cabin as soon as possible. I know she still has many floating cabins and land cabins available. If possible, try to arrive by Thursday for a "Spaghetti Dinner".

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:10 am

Thanks, Neal!!

Roberta :D

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:23 am

Thanks once again for all your coordination on this Neel. It's great to have a point man for contact with the resort. I started a new job in January so I have limited vacation this year. However, I will be using some of the little I have to come this year. I will for sure be getting in early enough to stay on site this time. I get that they want to have deposits as I'm sure it's a low margin business. And at least you don't totally lose the money if you cancel. The question is how long until the gift certificate expires? Can you use it the next year?
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:53 am

Matt.... I have called HB for clarification on the gift certificate expiration. Waiting for their response

AdamNMel

Post by AdamNMel » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:40 am

My wife called a couple months ago and reserved one of the floating cabins. We heard that the new owner was requiring a deposit, but we have yet to get a call asking us to give the deposit, unless when my dad called to cancel his reservation they canceled our as well. We might call next week to check on that.

Now my feelings, if the new owner wants to play hard ball with business and run the risk of loosing a lot of repeat customers i wonder if it is time to start looking for a new venue for 2020 and make sure the new owners know we are beginning to look for another place that will be more welcoming of our gatherings.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:11 am

Matt and Others.... If you cancel and get a gift certificate for your deposit, they will honor it the following September for the next gathering.

Adam.... Believe me when I say we have searched for a new place and Hales Bar is the best, all things considered, it is the best we can come up with. Bill Edmundson can jump in here with the background. I think we will all get to meet the new owner in September and I am sure he will be impressed with our group and what it means to his business. After talking to him on the phone, he seems to be a nice guy and wants to work with us to keep us happy. I didn't get the impression he is trying to play "hard ball', just protect his business some until he gets to know us. As a side note, Hannah is well aware that we may look for another place and I'm sure she has conveyed that to Daryl.

Everyone.....It is very important to make your reservation before 5/1 to hold the prices from last year. After that, they may go up a little.

All Take Care,,,, Neel

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:10 am

I can't tell you how much I appreciate Neel being our HB interface! This is something that I am not good at or enjoy. It is important to have a single point of contact. Thanks Neel..

Other options we have looked at, and there are many others:

Branson MO. This is not very central and access is difficult through the Ozarks. Cost was a little high. No river run.

Green Turtle Bay. This is in the west TN, Land Between the Lakes area. Very nice, the price was not nice. Access to the marina is a fairly narrow pass at no wake and you can't see the boats run.

There was a lake in Northeast TN. No river run and the lake is not very big.

We started in state parks. They don't seem to want to be bothered with groups.

Ray Macke has been at most of the Gatherings. Ray has traveled more than 30,000 river miles. He has looked for options. He says he has not found anyplace that meets our needs as well as HB.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

AdamNMel

Post by AdamNMel » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:20 am

I understand Neel that you have talked with him, I’ve seen numerous new owners make big chances like he is doing and it normally hurts them in the long run. When you have a large group like us that has been renting nearly all of the accommodations for several years you don’t start rocking the boat until you see the group in person. Doing so runs the risk of loosing the business altogether. The few dollars he is securing now can very well cost him a lot of money down the road.

Bill I have found another place we should look at it is north of Chattanooga.

http://www.bluewaterdayton.com

The biggest problem I see with it is the fact that it is a little farther from Chattanooga.

I know that we may run into the requirement of paying a deposit when making the reservation but that is expected considering we have never been there before.

I’m not saying I’m opposed staying at HB, just looking at other options as well.

Return to “Gathering 2019”