Who's Going and Where

Time to start planning another GREAT time together with Glen-L boats and Glen-L boat builders!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

Roberta

Re: Who's Going and Where

Post by Roberta » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:27 am

It was a great weekend of fun and commeradery. This is a family reunion for me and Rich. Lunch run was awesome with great water conditions and Scotties on the River was yummy. Hugged old friends and made new ones. Can't wait for G14. It will be AWESOME. To busy visiting and having fun for picture taking. Here are some of Keith's sailboat and Butch's Tahoe.

See you next year.

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Attachments
20190913_144550.jpg
20190914_120603.jpg
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:18 pm

Nice!! :D :D

Beautiful boats. I am sure that everyone had a great time as well.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:14 pm

Boating, cooking, singing, etc....Heather and I had lots of fun with our Glen L friends, it’s such as nice quiet get away. Boating on this section of the Tennessee River is beautiful.
Matt B
Attachments
39140191-F0FE-4158-9546-A3E238F84E28.jpeg
9B1DF23D-4438-4D82-BBC2-1BBA5A09EDDA.jpeg
32336B5E-95AB-4D80-9A5C-8FD6D475E0B2.jpeg

AdamNMel

Post by AdamNMel » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:54 am

We had a great time bringing the Zip this year, we had fun taking people for rides in the Zip, even a couple that plan to start building a Zip in the near future. The best part is for me my wife didn’t get mad at me this year and even got to do Karaoke with me and others.

Sadly the new owners failed to make a good first impression. We have already decided we will not be returning to Hales Bar next year, if the gathering is at Hales Bar we will stay an hour north at http://www.bluewaterdayton.com/ and come visit. We just didn’t feel like we were wanted. My dad and I will have a better post about this new place that we visited.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:08 am

It was great to meet you and Mel and see the Zip. I am so Happy to see it loved and enjoyed.

I share your feelings about Hales Bar. I hope Neel can convey our feelings to the owners and staff. I think in many ways we we treated well, but as many times treated with indifference and no respect by some. For me HB is a love/hate experience. If they don't keep the promises they made, next year will be my last stay there. They need to realize that without us customers, they have no place there.

Roberta :D

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:45 am

I'm on it Roberta... The new owner plans to remodel all cabins, upgrade the docks, and make many other improvements. I will let them know that we are all watching !! Craig and I had a great time spending time with old friends and meeting new ones. Hope the spaghetti was satisfactory. Sorry about the "Damn Plastic Boat" thing..... Neel

Tom J

Post by Tom J » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:59 am

The gathering recipes folder is locked so here is the way I make the baklava that some of you wanted...

Baklava
Ingredients
1 package of frozen phyllo dough (total of 40 sheets), thawed
¾ lb. butter (do not use margarine) 3 sticks
5 cups of chopped walnuts (1 ¼ lb.)
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg

Honey sauce
⅔ cup honey (use a good tasting type like clover or orange blossom)
⅔ cup sugar
juice and zest from one orange
juice and zest from one lemon

Make the sauce first and let cool while the baklava bakes
Take juice from orange and lemon and add water to make 1 cup of liquid. In a medium size sauce pan stir along with the sugar and honey. Bring to a boil, watch closely. Turn heat down and let it gently boil for 5 minutes. Take off heat and stir in orange and lemon zest. Let mixture cool.
Preheat oven to 325°F
Place nuts, cinnamon and nutmeg in a food processor and pulse 10 – 12 times. It should have some chunky pieces for texture.
Melt the butter and have ready with a wide basting brush or clean paint brush. Lay out thawed phyllo dough and cut with scissors to the size of your baking pan if it is smaller than the dough. Place dough on a sheet of plastic, place a sheet of plastic over it and a slightly dampened dish towel to keep the sheets from drying out.
Butter the pan and place one sheet of dough on it then lightly brush butter on it. Repeat layering dough brushing butter on each sheet to make 10 layers. Sprinkle 1 cup of the chopped nuts evenly over dough. Do another 5 layers of dough/butter. Don’t worry if some of the dough layers mess up, just keep it relatively even. Sprinkle 1 cup nuts. Continue layering with the same sequence of 5 sheets of dough/butter then nut mixture. Top with the final 10 sheets of dough, buttering each layer including the top.
Before baking cut the pastry with a sharp knife dividing to make 1 ½ to 2 inch rows. Then cut diagonally. (Do not put the honey sauce on until after it is baked.)
Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Remove from oven and pour the sauce evenly over the top while it is hot. It should make a sizzling sound. Let it cool overnight or at least for 6 hours to let the sauce soak in. To make it fancy, sprinkle some chopped nuts on top and drizzle with melted chocolate on individually plated pieces.
Tom J
currently building the Malahini

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:14 am

Thanks, Neel. I know you work very hard to make things work and have been invaluable to us informed. I'm in for giving them another chance. Besides the improvements, some of the staff should go to charm school.

The spaghetti was GREAT and I pigged out both Thursday and Friday. Thank you so much for doing that.

Any boat is welcome. I wouldn't care if someone came with a clawfoot tub and a paddle as long as they had fun.

Roberta :D

AdamNMel

Post by AdamNMel » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:36 am

Neel,

Unfortunately I don’t believe it will really matter how money this new guys spends to update the marina, the cabins, the store, restaurant, etc... if the top management doesn’t show by their actions that they care about a group our size nothing they do will matter. They clearly demonstrated this time that they were not that interested in keeping us as customers.

Adam

kens

Post by kens » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:46 am

How many people attended?
Did we sell out all the cabins?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

D&T kyle

Post by D&T kyle » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:50 am

Good morning to all,
D and I had an awsome time. Enjoyed meeting everyone and what a friendly group. I am in awe at all the absolutely beautiful boats on the water. Looking forward to next year. Although I must agree with most of you, docks do need a lot of attention!
Hope to see you next year.
Teri

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:24 pm

I don't really care where we have the Gathering as long as the boating and ability to socialize are at least as good as where we are now.

There aren't that many places where you can ride for miles and miles and see so few boats even on a Saturday.

I didn't think the staff was especially unfriendly but they could have done more than sit on the porch smoking all the time.

I did like that there weren't half drunk people hanging out at the ship store all day like it was a bar.

We didn't sell out every cabin. We had most of the floaters and some of the land cabins. Seems like we had quite a few regulars that couldn't make it for various reasons. Even so, it wouldn't take many more to book the whole place.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:00 pm

AdamNMel wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:54 am
We had a great time bringing the Zip this year, we had fun taking people for rides in the Zip, even a couple that plan to start building a Zip in the near future. The best part is for me my wife didn’t get mad at me this year and even got to do Karaoke with me and others.

Sadly the new owners failed to make a good first impression. We have already decided we will not be returning to Hales Bar next year, if the gathering is at Hales Bar we will stay an hour north at http://www.bluewaterdayton.com/ and come visit. We just didn’t feel like we were wanted. My dad and I will have a better post about this new place that we visited.
A new adventure, I like it.
Matt B

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:29 pm

I want to thank Matt and Heather once again for the incredible spread on Saturday night. I could have eaten my weight in those tacos.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:25 pm

Taco bar was AWESOME! THANK YOU!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D

Return to “Gathering 2019”