Throttle/Shift Cable and Attachments for 1957 18hp Evinrude

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

areame

Throttle/Shift Cable and Attachments for 1957 18hp Evinrude

Post by areame »

I need new throttle/shifting cables for my outboard but am not sure which ones to use, or what attachments I need. I have a 1957 18 hp Evinrude with a 1970's control box (pictured at the bottom). Does anyone have any info on where I can buy new cables and the attachments to go with them? I have been looking around online but I'm starting to get really confused on which ones will fit my outboard. Thanks.

Here's my control box.

Here's the outboard. I did purchase the cable locks that hold the cable in place while attached to the throttle/shifter but I haven't put them on yet.

red

Re: Throttle/Shift Cable and Attachments for 1957 18hp Evinr

Post by red »

Areame I'm looking for the same except I need the control box as well but in looking I think the early 70s cables will work by the way where did you find your controls

areame

Post by areame »

I think the early 70's should work too. There's an outboard repair shop near where I work that I plan on hitting up the beginning of next week to make sure.

I found my control box off of Craigslist by chance. I had replied to a post about some old gas tanks and when I went to the guys house he had the control box sitting there which was also for sale. Sometimes eBay has some decent deals, but a lot of it seems overprices for the quality.

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker »

I have these in my Barn. See is the ends fit your stuff. I thing they must be 15' to 20' long.
DSCN0202.jpg
cable ends 2.jpg

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be »

My memory is a bit fuzzy on this, but I am pretty sure that OMC used the same cable hookups for throttle and shifter from the 1950s through well on into the 1970s. I know for sure that they were the same through the 1960s.

Great looking outboard you have there. BTW, the control box you bought was from the 1950s, not the 1970s. My uncle had the Johnson version of that box for his 1957 Johnson outboard.
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Build of Ken Bassett's Rascal currently on hiatus

areame

Post by areame »

thudpucker, I don't think those will fit, the connections look quite different.

Ibrew2be, thanks for the info!

Return to “Boat Power”