Intake Strainers

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

Re: Intake Strainers

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:46 am

Put the strainer/intake on the same side as the pump.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:09 am

Put the strainer/intake on the same side as the pump.
Agreed.

I like the idea of a closed system keeping whatever is in the sea out of the engine. I won't have an engine picked out until sometime after the flip. If I read Roberta's captions and photos correctly, the water inlet to her engine is on the port side. Some of the photos on the motor sales websites show a hose fitting coming off the water pump also pointing to the port side (unless that is a fitting for something else). So do most engines mate up to raw water on the port side?

Tom

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:45 am

My bottom pickup scoop/screen is on the Starboard side and water crosses over to the port side to the suction strainer and then to the engine connection on the port side. Water first enters the engine oil cooler before it enters the sea water pump. Then it goes to the transmission oil cooler and then the main heat exchanger. From there it goes to the exhaust headers and out the exhaust pipes. This has worked fine. I sized the intake scoop at 1-1/2" and the cross over and strainer are 1-1/4" as is the engine inlet.

The important thing is to properly size piping and keep the route as short as practical and not too far forward where it might lift out of good water flow when planing out.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Return to “Boat Power”