Intake Strainers

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Roberta

Re: Intake Strainers

Post by Roberta » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:50 am

My engine was built from the ground up, by Crusader Marine, as a closed cooling system with external heat exchangers and exhaust system cooled by sea water and the engine block cooled internally by the closed loop using antifreeze. The main heat exchanger cools the antifreeze that runs through the block and is circulated by the typical GM water pump mounted on the engine block. Sea water is circulated through the open loop into the heat exchangers and exits the exhaust system. This is circulated by a separate pump mounted externally to the engine block. Here are some pictures of the engine showing the various components in the cooling system.

Roberta
Attachments
Engine 006.JPG
Sitting low between the motor mounts is the engine oil heat exchanger. This is the connection made from the water pick up from strainers. Water is drawn in to the system through this exchanger to the external pump.
Engine 005.JPG
Main heat exchanger with expansion tank for antifreeze.
Engine 002.JPG
Shows transmission heat exchanger. Sea water is forced through it by external pump.
Engine 001.JPG
Engine front view with external sea water pump on right of picture. Internal pump is in the center.
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:38 pm

Beautiful! Thank you for the detailed pics (how much did that setup cost if I may ask?)

I already have the Transmission and Oil heat exchangers on mine so maybe I should think about making it closed cooling for the engine as well? That would probably change my thermostat issue once again as I bet I could just run a regular thermostat but then I need a separate pump...No free lunch here I see....Decisions Decisions....

Is that a fuel filter/separator on the left of the last picture? Who makes that?
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:05 pm

Thank you! The black item is the fuel control cell and pump assembly. I think it is a GM part. It comes with the engine. The primary water separating filter is in line between that and the tank mounted on the stringer. Then engine and transmission ran about 17K and is all new and not rebuilt. It is the Captains Choice 5.7 MPI (330 hp) and the Liberty A velvet drive transmission.

Roberta
Attachments
Strainer 001.JPG
Primary fuel filter.

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi Roberta:

Thanks for the additional pics! You have sparked my interest in that fuel filter/separator. I think it might be this one

Sorry to Nag you again on USCG specs but please note that your fuel hose does not meet USCG Type A1-15 per section 183.558 (page 72)

http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/Ass ... 002.01.pdf

I looked up the PN of your hose and this is what it says on the website:

https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/F ... 7-hose.htm

Fuel Line Hose
Recommended for low pressure/high temperature fuel for passenger car, light truck and small engine applications. Not intended for fuel injection systems. Meets or exceeds all requirements of SAE 30R7.

IMPORTANT: 30R7 is not Coast Guard approved for marine applications.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:52 am

You are correct on the filter. That is the whole assembly and replacement cartridges are available. You are also correct on the fuel hose. That has been changed to A1 and A2 CG approved hose. I thought maybe someone might bring that up when I posted the picture. :lol:

But also remember that this is an amateur built boat and may or may not fall under the rules set for boat MFGs and may fall under guidelines for back yard boat builders.

Roberta :D

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:47 am

Jim

Roberta is correct home built boats not having all the requirements. Although, I try to meet as much as I can. Hose requirements are stricter for boats than cars. This is based on permeability. If fuel vapor comes through the hose, it simply goes out the bottom of the car. In a boat that goes to the bilge. That is not a good place for fuel vapor.

For floatation, the Regs. say to fill the boat with water to find the displacement. Displacement can be calculated. They define basic floatation, upright floatation and none required. Home builds are just allowed to sink. I put floatation on the topside and under the deck to exceed the weight of the stuff that will sink, ie. the engine.

Seem we are just allowed to die.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:21 am

Roberta glad to hear the hoses were changed out. Seems like an easy place to comply and No one likes gas fumes.

Bill good to here there is some leanancy on home builts. every time I read the uscg regs I have a sleepless night :D
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:43 am

Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:36 pm

Bill thanks! I will read it shortly. I had no idea there was such a manual! :D
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:49 pm

Thanks Bill; now I see I also need to put the HIN on the hull in a few places. More regulations :)

Not sure I will put the max persons sticker on the boat though...
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:17 pm

kens wrote:I dont have a inside strainer, but I did install a 3-way valve between engine and intake.
I swing the valve to use raw water intake, or, garden hose flush or (crash pump out the bilge).
I like that idea, i found this one that looks like it will do the trick

Do you mix brass and bronze? Kinda hard finding all bronze fittings in all the flavors I need.

Edit - I found these Bronze NPT to barb
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

kens

Post by kens » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:17 am

Milhouse wrote:
kens wrote:I dont have a inside strainer, but I did install a 3-way valve between engine and intake.
I swing the valve to use raw water intake, or, garden hose flush or (crash pump out the bilge).
I like that idea, i found this one that looks like it will do the trick

Do you mix brass and bronze? Kinda hard finding all bronze fittings in all the flavors I need.

Edit - I found these Bronze NPT to barb
If I shop at a marine hardware store, all I seem to see is bronze,
If I shop at any local regular hardware store, all I seem to see is brass.
One side of my 3way valve has about a 3foot length of hose with garden hose female thread on it. It just lays in the bilge as a crash pump pickup, until you connect it to your garden hose for on trailer running.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:52 am

Ken - I like that idea about the crash pump hose. Don't want to try and fumble around with connecting a hose in the event of an emergency; nice to have it ready. I still may end up with a thru hull then a hose and then the 3 way instead of a true seacock right at the hull. Its pretty darn cramped now with the exhaust installed. I may move it later but I want to get this thing fired up!

IRT Bronze fittings: Perhaps I'll have to actually go to a store instead of trying to source everything online :)
Attachments
thru hull.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:58 am

Thanks for bumping this thread Jim. While I'm a long way from needing an intake strainer, I am ready to drill a hole in the hull for the scoop strainers. I looked around a little to see where others were located. I see four on the port side, one starboard. I see two even with the transmission, one even with the shaft log, one even with the prop strut, and one near the transom. I guess following the crowd may not be the answer.

Here is what I'm thinking following the logic of the various location discussions found: further aft and near the keel is best to be sure to have water at speed and on the trailer at the dock; accessible, so the sea cock can be closed; and, stay away from the trailer bunks.

So I am thinking under the rear seat for access (slight aft of the shaft log), and between the keel and first batten, which would be low in the hull and as far from the bunk as possible (I don't trust the captain). Does that make sense? Which side of the engine gets the water? Is that the side that should get the scoop stainer?

Tom

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:28 pm

TomB wrote:So I am thinking under the rear seat for access (slight aft of the shaft log), and between the keel and first batten, which would be low in the hull and as far from the bunk as possible (I don't trust the captain). Does that make sense? Which side of the engine gets the water? Is that the side that should get the scoop stainer?Tom
Makes sense to me. I don't think the side matters what ever is convenient for your hose routing and does not get in the way.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Return to “Boat Power”