Flame Arrestor - Does anyone know about this?

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

BruceDow

Flame Arrestor - Does anyone know about this?

Post by BruceDow » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Hi All.

Mr Hot Rod has started the tear-down of my engine, for rebuild. One of the tasks was to clean up and repair the flame arrestor.

It is not the modern "cylindrical" type, but rather, it looks like a "roof".

Does anyone know what type this is, and whether replacement parts are available?

Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:24 pm

I've sen them,but don't know anything much about them,but from what I've seen,they look simple.
What's wrong with it?
If it's just the fins bent,maybe you can buy a radiator fin straightener from an auto parts store....

Bob Maskel

Re: Flame Arrestor - Does anyone know about this?

Post by Bob Maskel » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:03 pm

Bruce Dow wrote: the flame arrestor.

It is not the modern "cylindrical" type, but rather, it looks like a "roof".
Hi Bruce, is that motor a 283 and what year? I had a '62 ChrisCraft and a '60 CC with twin 283's that had those flame arrestors. I found some parts manuals online but they show the round ones...just wanted to double check your year and size... here are the links if you think they would be any help...
http://www.riobonito.110mb.com/enginedo ... 20List.pdf
http://www.sea-way.com/283ccweb.pdf

bob

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:21 pm

Hi Bob.

Thanks for that info.

I should have given more detail.

The engine is a 283HO. This was one of the first CC 283 models. Based on a serial number check, we believe it was a 1962 model.

I have copies of those 283M and 283F manuals, and they are close in many respects. As you noted, the carbs and flame arrestors are different.

I have looked everywhere to find a 283H manual, but have not found one.

When I google my engine, this is the site that always comes up on top.

http://usedboatsofdetroit.com/images/10 ... /index.htm :cry:

Mr Hot Rod will have mine looking AT LEAST that good when he's done with it.
Bruce.

~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Bob Maskel

Post by Bob Maskel » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:15 pm

Bruce Dow wrote: Mr Hot Rod will have mine looking AT LEAST that good when he's done with it.
Hahaha, good humor. I'm guesing Mr. Hot Rod would hardly let a thing like that INTO his shop, let alone OUT of the shop!

Found a couple more possibilities...

Chris Craft Engine Parts*—Danny Cook-former engineer CC Engine Div, great supply of parts and expertise 740/446-3339

http://www.chris-craft-parts.com

http://www.classicandantiqueboats.com/parts.htm

And on this last link, it is for used CC engine parts...if you scroll all the way down to one of the last photos...or click on the Ford engine parts...THAT one has the rectangular flame arrestors...at least if you end up having to call them you'll have a place to reference what it is you are talking about. That is the ONLY photo I've found of those...

http://www.chris-craft-parts.com/used.html#2

I put them on here instead of a PM because there is a lot of useful info others may be interested in too...

I'll keep looking....

Rich Coey

Post by Rich Coey » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:35 pm

Bruce,

Here is an add for some carbs and flame arrestors, it lists a 283 and says
(2 pieces). The add is almost 2 months old but maybe he still has them.
www.tradingdock.org/1502

I know it would not have the old look, but I'm sure you could find a round flame arrestor that would fit.

Rich

Bob Maskel

Post by Bob Maskel » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:14 pm

Rich Coey wrote:Bruce,

Here is an add for some carbs and flame arrestors, it lists a 283 and says
(2 pieces).
Ha, what a kick; Here is a guy in California telling a guy in Toronto about a guy in Cottage Grove, Minnesota. Can't get more cross-country than that, and lo and behold, the person in that ad is about 10 miles from MY HOUSE.

I'd seen his boats a few years back and had thought of him and was just about to ask what kind of carb you had on there Bruce, so I could stop and see this exact same guy!! The ad helps since I didn't know his name or phone number.

Let me know if you'd like me to stop in there or if you wanna call him. I'll print the picture and show him if you want me to stop.

How funny is that!

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:33 pm

Bob and Rich.

Thanks for that input and for the offer to visit the guy. My Flame Arrestor was very badly damaged, but we (Hot Rod) have done some clean-up and repair on it. It is now functional, but may not look as good as the rest of the engine will when we are done. It is good to know where I can find a replacement if we want a "crisper" look up there.

It is interesting that you found these carbs in the "Ford" section.

Last year, when I was sparking up the engine for the first time, I spent almost a month looking for the oil filter to fit the engine. As you know, it is a Small Block Chev. The oil filter that came with the engine was an obscure brand that had been painted, so I could not "decode" the part number. After much trial and error, I eventually found that the oil filter was a plain old garden variety FORD V8 oil filter.

I guess when they pulled these Marine Conversions together, they used "a little of this and a little of that".
Bruce.

Dow's Monaco Project

Bob Maskel

Post by Bob Maskel » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:52 pm

Bruce Dow wrote:Bob and Rich.

Thanks for that input
It is interesting that they used parts from everywhere.

I googled the phone number in the ad and drove by the place today...not the one I had thought it was but still only 15 minutes from me so maybe a new source for parts...thanks Rich! Right under my nose and I had no idea. No one was around but I'll save the phone number.

Bruce, if you change your mind down the road and would like me to run by and check them out, I'll be happy to. Otherwise I'll keep my eye out for some good strays around here just in case. Funny they are hard to find...when I had my early 60's CC cruisers in the mid '80s, those were the only kind of arrestors I saw on the 283's...mine or others.

Have a good one...

bob

Netforce

Post by Netforce » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:10 pm

Can someone please tell me how this site works first time 😞 I have a 1962 85hp mercury looking for info about this motor but no idea where to go ? Cheers

Netforce

Post by Netforce » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:14 pm

The pic of your boat Bob looks just like mine 😃

Return to “Boat Power”