Restoring Glory Days a 23' Belle Isle

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

billy c

Restoring Glory Days a 23' Belle Isle

Post by billy c » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:26 pm

Hard to believe, but It was nine years ago when I launched Glory Days, a 23’ Belle Isle design by Ken Hankinson. After many seasons of use and UV exposure the elements finally got the best of her. So one warm 37 degreee day this February, I pulled her out of winter storage and began removing all the trim preparing for refinishing.
Here starts my new chapter and update on my website as I progresss.
DSC_0316.jpg
A couple pictures of her before she was officially launched.
DSC_0296.jpg
DSC_0024.jpg
A few months after launch and shakedown cruise
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

billy c

Re: Restoring Glory Days a 23' Belle Isle

Post by billy c » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:29 pm

After nine seasons of fun
IMG_1608.jpg
The main surfaces that were cause for rework. Areas which got sunbaked and heat/cool cycles daily starting at about the 6 year point, lost fiberglass weave transparency. I sanded lightly going down thru layers to see if I could eliminate the weave without wooding the boat, but the System Three LPU, 2 coats of System Three epoxy and finally down to touch the 4oz cloth, revealed that everything had to go if I wanted to get her back to the original finish.(scraped back a little of the LPU in this photo to reveal the underlying epoxy)
IMG_1607.jpg
These areas gave good service over their life. I could have saved or fixed this by recoating a few years back, but the edges of the deck planks lost their color below the LPU and epoxy topcoats. The dyes did not survive the UV on edges where although coated, may not have the same degree of protection as the rest of the deck.
IMG_1606.jpg
IMG_1605.jpg
Rubrails did their thing and simply needed to be refreshed.
IMG_1604.jpg
Quite a few rough days on exposed town dock pilings in spite of fenders.
Overall, not bad shape for a well used boat on Winnipesaukee. Time for reevaluating the finishes and a makeover before summer breezes arrive.
Billy

billy c

Post by billy c » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:33 pm

Well typical for NH we got 4 Noreasters blasting away at any chance of working outside. I really did not want to do sanding in the barn as I live in the shop during the winter, so I decided to make the long lost spray rails for the boat while I waited for better weather next week.
Here are a couple pictures of the spray rail milling. Opted to handle them, in 2 14’ sections and scarf before fastening.
IMG_1757.jpg
IMG_1760.jpg
IMG_1761.jpg
IMG_1762.jpg
note: photo above without safety guards in place
IMG_1764.jpg

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:57 am

Lots of work, but worth it.

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:36 am

That's a nice profile for the spray rails. The ones on my boat are not that refined.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

obd

Post by obd » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:23 pm

Pre and post pics very helpful. Love your finish. What dye/stain did you use under your epoxy?

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:00 pm

Nice spray rails. Keep that tilted jig running for me another 40 ft and I’ll pay you at the Gathering in September. I don’t think my hillbilly wood shop can produce such curves. Very nice.
Matt B

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:00 pm

Lots of work but she'll look like new again soon. I remember my dad was the NH Marine Patrol officer that did your inspection for the HIN. He was most impressed and raved about your boat for months afterward. Nine years is pretty darned good compared to vintage mahogany runabouts back in the day.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:29 am

Hercdrvr wrote:Nice spray rails. Keep that tilted jig running for me another 40 ft and I’ll pay you at the Gathering in September. I don’t think my hillbilly wood shop can produce such curves. Very nice.
Matt B
Don't be coy, Matt, we've seen what you can do with that belt sander. :wink:
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:29 am

Nice work Billy. You and skip have a knack for producing high quality machine like work. :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

billy c

Post by billy c » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:48 am

Thanks folks for your responses. Headed to the Canadian border for a few days snowmobiling to celebrate spring. Catch up on this as soon as I get some cellular service
Billy

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:12 am

Hey Billy, your boat has always been one of my favorites.

Being that I also finished my boat with SystemThree LPU I'm curious as to what I can expect regarding durability and so, have some questions. Have you been satisfied enough with the SystemThree durability that you'll do your restoration with it or will you be trying something else? When not in use, was your boat kept in a garage, a covered but open air area, or outside exposed to the elements? And lastly, if you do store your boat in a covered area, can you say approximately how much your boat has been used, like once a week for the six months of summer and spring, twice a month all year round, etc..?

Thanks, Jeff

tysman52

Post by tysman52 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:21 pm

Billy-
I have always been impressed with your boat. I’m glad It has seen so much use! Keep us posted on the restoration
-JT

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:12 pm

This is neat to see. A well enjoyed boat that has held up well. 9 years, kinda helps kill the myth that wood boats are all high maintenance.

billy c

Post by billy c » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:25 pm

Arrived home to some warmer weather! Can't wait to pull the boat out and get on with the sanding and scraping. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement to go forward. I have played around with some destructive testing of the finish and hope some of my failures and success with the finish I applied will help as I start my refinishing project.
Matt B on the spray rail profile, a tablesaw would work equally well as the thickness planer and would make 2 at once. I would prepare a rectangle of mahogany the height and width of my spray rail + the thickness of the saw kerf. A couple of featherboards one on the table and one on the fence and you would get a clean cut. I buy simple steel router bits and grind new profiles on them to make what shape is needed. For the rail use a 1/4" roundover bit. Taper (grind) the wing to match the angle of your rail.
obd Bob, glad the before/after helps. The dyes I've used were W.D.Lockwood dyes and Behlen Solarlux dyes. I used them for many years on my projects and you can not beat the transparency of these compared to stain. Do note that although they say they have good UV resistance they are not completely safe if the UV of the topcoat is inadequate as in the plank edges of my deck where they completely burned out. Going forward this is one of the areas I am considering varying my approach as to product.
Peter G I will never forget your dad coming over to inspect my boat for the HIN number. Your dad was so knowledgeable and could appreciate the time and workmanship involved in the project. I believe I met your mom also. Wasn't she a dispatcher at the Marine Patrol facility? Nine years is very good for a boat that lived outside for 6 months of the year in a marine environment. I think I can do even better now as I have my experience and some great resources. I think you also know a friend Mark Mason (NE Boat & Motor)? He restored Baby Bootlegger and many other vintage boats. I was talking to him last week and have the refinishing schedule he uses so that helps too.
BayouBengal Jeff, the boat lives outside over the water on a covered lift from mid April until mid November. (I'll try to get a picture up) I reside on an island in the summer, so usually take the boat back and forth most days or at least out for a supply, dinner or icecream run. System Three LPU product held up well through the years. It is not the easiest to apply compared to other products so follow their instructions exactly. The epoxy coats under it worked well too and there was still good adhesion. I cleaned an area and tried the duct tape test and nothing pulled up. I had to scrape the LPU or sand it to get the bond to break from the epoxy. My biggest problem was the dyes under the topcoat and epoxy failed at the edges turning the coating to clear. There was no trace of color left of the dye. The buffing needed to level the LPU must have reduced the UV protection at the plank edges and washed out the dye. Had that not happened, it would have been a breeze to remove just the LPU and add a new topcoat. The topsides had no dye failure as they had an even coat of the LPU that was buffed out. Also a little less UV exposure? Here the failure was some of the weave whiting out. Again, not the fault of the LPU. Even with the weave problem going on underneath, the epoxy and LPU held up perfectly over it.
0610121638.jpg

Carl, Roberta, Matt, Chris, JT It is wonderful having you here with all your enthusiasm, postings of your incredible builds and forum presence to keep me going thru this refinishing project.
Love this place!
Billy

Return to “Power Boats”