Michigan Squirt Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

BarnacleMike

Re: Michigan Squirt Build

Post by BarnacleMike »

That upholstery work looks amazing, Jim! Very inspirational. Very!

I'm going to have to check out those videos. Now that Joshua's Zip is finished, I need something to watch.
"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly
Why did the boatbuilder get a divorce? Because he didn't have enough clamps to hold his marriage together!

rtowner

Post by rtowner »

Hi Jimmy,

I'm in Edwardsburg, MI and have always been very interested in the Squirt design. I was wondering if I can come visit your shop and see the boat? I'm particularly interested in how you go about stretching a design... I have fairly broad availability if you'd be willing to let me check things out.

If you'd like to email me, I can be reached at rtowner8820@yahoo.com.

Thanks!
Ryan Towner

Two8nine

Post by Two8nine »

Looks fantastic. Inspiring to see the progression of a build like this.

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Thanks guys.

Ryan, I emailed you and you're welcome to come over and chat about boats and perhaps take a ride.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

travis24

Post by travis24 »

Great Job Jim looks like your having a fun summer now.

Travis
It's like anything you Build. You have to be Patient.

Measure Twice, cut Once.

Keep em Alive ! Vintage & Antique outboards

https://waterhogsworks.com/

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

I got a some more time on the lake over the holiday weekend. Sadly we started pulling the dock out, but not completely. I did get a couple of photos of the Squirt in it's natural state...
20180903_112827.jpg
20180903_112854.jpg
I plan on hauling it out next weekend to display it at the Port Huron boat show on the 15th along with the AOMCI guys.

Hopefully there is a little more boating weather in Michigan.

Enjoy!

P.S. I hope you all have a good Gathering! Maybe I'll be able to make it next year.
-Jim

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Hi All,

I got tired of my hatch falling down, so I added a gas strut to one side. I found these on Amazon for about $15 and there were a bunch of different brackets for mounting them. The strut is spec'd at 10lbs of force and is perfect for the small hatch.
20200523_112739.jpg
Previously I just had a cable, and every time I bumped the cable or a wave came it, I was getting knocked in the head.
-Jim

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Nice work on the gas strut Jimmy. I have to get a bunch of supports (probably simple mechanical rather than gas strut) for my windows. I've been putting it off because I haven't felt like installing the window frames yet so I can measure the lengths needed. I know, it's not a big deal, just so many other things to do.

Anyway, good idea on the hatch support. It's the small things like this that really make a difference to the experience.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Hi All,

I started having some issues with my vintage outboard slipping out of gear. I tried several on the water fixes, but nothing seamed to help. On top of this the oil seal on the prop shaft started leaking. I had sucked up some fishing line a while back which had dislodged it. I got it back in, but I guess the fishing line tore up the rubber a bit. So, I decided to pull the Squirt out of the water to fix it right.

I cracked open the gearbox, cleaned it up, swapped the clutch dog around, adjusted the shifter linkage, got it all back together, so I hope my shifting issues will be solved. I finally tracked down a new seal, and while I was waiting for that I installed a new wire to to the motor to be able to kill the magneto with the key switch. I had one wire in place originally, but you need two and the switch just shorts out the two condensers in the off position. The wiring was also tidied up a bit, with a few more zip ties and brackets.

Next, there was some scratches in the clear paint just above the waterline on on side. Originally I had planned on adding a white boot stripe, and have a small jar of WR-LPU for it, but I was waiting to make sure the waterline was right before adding and never got around to it. A 2" boot stripe will cover the scratches, so why now take care of it now? I put some blue painters tape to see how it would look, and when I puled off the tape the clear pealed right off with it! The paint was scratched/damaged only on one side, that faces south when it is on it's lift and the cover doesn't quite cover the whole side. So my guess is that 2 1/2 years of sun exposure was asking too much for WR-LPU topcoat paint. Funny, but the red just below the clear appears to be fine, as well as the clear that is normally under the cover. The "north" side of the boat is fine, even where it is not under the cover, so I'm pretty happy with the performance of WR-LPU paints.

I taped off the boot stripe and sanded the clear off with 100 and 220 grit in preparation for priming. I had enough System 3, 2 part epoxy primer left over, and there are now 3 coats on curing for 3 days until it can be sanded and the top coat applied. The weather has been rainy and damp here in Michigan, so no real time lost on the water and it is perfect for applying the paint.
Primer applied and curing...
Primer applied and curing...
I'm leaving the tape on for now so it will be easier to sand. I hope to be back in the water next weekend.

My project for the fall/spring will be to sew a new mooring cover that fully covers the sides of the boat.
-Jim

brockj

Post by brockj »

Sorry to hear about the issues with the motor Jim. Hopefully you have it all tip top again. I am getting ready to paint the boot stripe on mine (just finishing touching up the blue. I wasn't sure if the WR-LPU clear would discolor the White or not, I figure down the road when I touch up the clear I will just go over the white so no reason not to just do it now. I was thinking just 1" for the boot stripe, can't wait to see what yours looks like with 2", might just change my plan!

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Hi All,

I put on about 5 coats of WR-LPU White over a couple of days. I sanded it out with 600 to 1500 before removing the tape. I'll wait a few weeks before I do the final buffing. I'm planning on taking it to the Port Huron classic boat show in September.

I got it back in the water yesterday and I'm happy to report my gearbox issue appears to be solved. The 63 year old motor is running fine and quiet. The kill switch is nice to be able stop the motor on command. Originally the Johnson manual for this motor just had you choking it out.

I was too excited to get it back in the water, so I forgot to take photos. The new 2" boot stripe will take a bit to get used to, but everyone at the sandbar seemed to like it. With no one in the boat, the water line is right in the middle of the stripe.
-Jim

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Good fix on the motor Jimmy. I guess that kind of thing just goes hand in hand with these older motors. I remember my old 68 Mercury Cougar was always needing points adjustment and lots of other little things. Annoying yes, but part of the package.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Forge

Post by Forge »

Jimmy, thanks for sharing on my thread, I just got a chance to check out your build thread. I must say I am really impressed with your squirt build. I especially like the job you did with the paint/wood and lettering. Also the motor is wicked! I was thinking of restoring an old Evinrude, but Canada outlawed 2 strokes a while ago. The paint job on yours is awesome! And especially cool that you bored out the cylinders.

Happy boating! Keep that dock in the water, maybe we will have an Indian Summer this year :P
Aerospace Engineer, Pilot, Sailor, Tinkerer and Surf Bum

Return to “Small outboards”