Tucker's Squirt

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

TDI

Re: Tucker's Squirt

Post by TDI » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:31 pm

I'm looking into getting a spun aluminum fuel tank for my squirt. Originally I was planning for a 6 gallon but now having second thoughts. For the design I'm looking at I can go up to 8.25 gallons. Do any of you find a 6 gallon is to small for a day out on the boat or would you go larger? I have a yamaha 4 stroke 20hp which I hear uses little fuel.
Tucksquirt.blogspot.com

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:10 pm

I had a 4 stroke Mercury 25 on my Jon boat. I could always have a full day on the lake using just a few gallons. This past Saturday launching the Geronimo I used about 4 gallons of gas with a 90 hp motor. We were on the lake from 9 am til 3 pm. Not running the whole time but still. Six gallons will be plenty.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:28 am

I've got a 6 gallon tank feeding my old Johnson 18hp two stroke. It keeps me on the water for a solid weekend. I had a 1/4 tank on Sunday, and went out to run it dry and 1 1/2 hours later gave up and pulled the tank with enough for one more lap.

I think with 6 gallons and a Yamaha 4 stroke, you could make the run to Chattanooga!

With that said, performance will suffer a bit with the extra fuel on board, but more capacity is always nice to have. Any reason you just don't go with a stock poly tank? I think there are more regulations on tanks these days, so buying a "certified" one might be the way to go.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:21 am

Squirt with a 4 stroke 20hp,....6 gallons is plenty of fuel. I run a 3 gallon tank in my Squirt with a 4 stroke 20 hp Yamaha, plenty of gas for a day in the water. I included a picture to show how little freeboard the Squirt has aft even with only two 120 lb girls on board, a small lawn mower battery and 3 gallons of gas.
Unless your running in some fairy land with magic glass water, you’ll give out before the fuel tank does anyway.
6 gallons would give you about 80 miles of range at WOT.
Matt B
Attachments
70584056-D6AA-4034-8515-DF8E48C8E34D.jpeg

TDI

Post by TDI » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:19 pm

Ok good to know. I read somewhere of someone saying they needed a 12 gallon for his squirt and made me concerned. I was hoping to have a fuel gauge on my dash and not sure how to safely install a sending unit on a small portable tank without compromising the tank. The aluminum tank I was looking into has all that and should fit nicely behind the seat and center rather than the current 6 gallon portable tank I have that I would have to place in the corner at the transom. I also think it would look cool to see when I open up the hatch, but that's just for my own aesthetic reasons. If there were a way to have a fuel gauge on the dash and use a portable 3 gallon tank I'd probably go that route and save a little money.
Tucksquirt.blogspot.com

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:35 am

You can set your watch by how much a 2 stroke burns, knock off the last digit of the HP and that’s how much it burns/hr at WOT. I haven’t had the need for a gauge, when you’re in a Squirt nothing is more than arms reach away. When I can reach behind me and the tank is getting light it’s time for gas.
Not trying to influence you in any direction only sharing my Squirt experience.
Matt B

BillW

Post by BillW » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:04 pm

You may have read about my Squirt. It has a 12 gallon Moeller built-in tank behind the seat.

I opted for that, knowing I would never fill it more than half full. It seemed to be the smallest built-in type of tank
that was readily available. It has a gauge on the dash; easily installed.

My Squirt is tail heavy, and it requires the full size marine starting battery to be located at the junction of the stem and foreword frame.
Even so, 6 gallons (36 pounds) is nearly too much in the back. The boat likes 3 or 4 gallons in there much better.

TDI

Post by TDI » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:05 am

Thanks, this is good information. Really changes my plan. I will stick with a 3 gallon portable tank. No fuel gauge, probably just a gps speedometer, tach, and maybe a voltmeter. I am planning to place my battery on the stem since my motor is so heavy.
Tucksquirt.blogspot.com

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:50 am

I found a nice digital volt meter/USB charger for mine. It is styled after a more modern rocker switch typical on boats. The USB charger is a nice option for your phone and I plan to pick up a Bluetooth speaker for tunes on the water.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

TDI

Post by TDI » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:29 pm

I'll probably do the same thing with the voltmeter because I too want to have a bluetooth speaker and a usb port may come in handy.
Tucksquirt.blogspot.com

TDI

Post by TDI » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:20 pm

Ok so I'm at the stage of outfitting the squirt with steering, gauges, fuel etc. all of which I know nothing about and just learning as I go. Currently I'm trying to set up the teleflex steering. When I place the helm together I have this large gap between the steering wheel and bezel. I remember seeing the post about teleflex install on the squirt and they used washers to make up for this but their gap was not this big and their teleflex hardware was slightly different. I too plan on using washers to offset this gap. Has anyone had this issue? Is this going to work or be a disaster? I don't see why it wouldn't work. The second photo shows the gap, the first photo shows how much space I would need to fill with washers. Also, I did not account for this large a space between the steering wheel and dash so my cockpit space will be a bit tighter than expected but still comfortable for me.
Attachments
teleflex2.jpg
teleflex1.jpg
Tucksquirt.blogspot.com

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:44 pm

I have the same gap. I don't know what to do about it. It is really not noticeable though in the grand scheme of things.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

joshuab

Post by joshuab » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:27 pm

I had the exact same gap on my Zip, i used washers to space it, worked without issue, i kept playing with washer stacks until i ended up with 1/8" when finger tight, this gave me about 1/16" when the wheel was tightened down.
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

TDI

Post by TDI » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:53 am

Ok, I'll use washers to fill the gap. Once I know how many washers I need I'll probably epoxy them together to make them into one solid washer to help keep me from dropping a bunch of washers and loosing them when trying to install the helm.
Tucksquirt.blogspot.com

TDI

Post by TDI » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:13 pm

Where is everyone getting their seat cushions made for your boats? Also, I'm getting ready to install the plywood deck and then do deck planking. Is every one else using 1/4 inch thick deck planking or can it be planed down less than 1/4 inch? I'll post some recent pics of my boat since I still haven't kept up with my blog. I just have too much fun working on the boat instead.
Attachments
IMG_1434.jpeg
IMG_1427.jpeg
Tucksquirt.blogspot.com

Return to “Small outboards”