16' Ski Boat Restoration

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: 16' Ski Boat Restoration

Post by mrintense » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:00 pm

Looking good Jim,

I am going back and forth on the trailer idea, wanting to put more of the money towards the outboard, but I am somewhat concerned about the amount of effort that will be needed to get it into shape. Well, I have about a year to decide. Post more pics when you get it assembled.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:49 pm

I was happy with the primer coat so I painted the trailer yesterday and I think it turned out well but its still slightly tacky (its been cold 30 - 65F). Hopefully it will not be tacky tomorrow. In the mean time I went back to working on the seats. Recall that I used the original seats as templates. I posted pics of the original seat frames a while ago.

It was a pain to align all 4 back pieces but after a lit of scribing and trips to the band-saw I got it reasonably close.

I'm still not sure how I will attach the seat frame to the boat. It would be nice to be able to (easily) remove the seat frame for maintenance on the dash and motor...The previous version had metal angle brackets screwed to the floor. I am thinking I might epoxy a block to the glassed floor and then screw/bolt to it. It will be removable but not easily removable. For the top it was screwed through the supports right into the bulkhead. I may do that but add a little more beef I may double up the supports so they are wider, 3/4" seems to tiny to screw/bolt too.

I need to make the cushions so that they can be removed to get to the motor and the battery box.

I think I will also move the Ammeter close by the battery because I decided that its too much hassle/wire to mount the ammeter to the dash. It would be nice to see if its charging but its not a gauge I will need to see often.

The Battery switch and the main Circuit Breaker will also be mounted in the center compartment below the seat. Hopefully so they are accessable with the seat cushions in place.

I may add some storage below the seats in the other two compartments.
Attachments
seat1.jpg
seat.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:19 pm

Looks great Jim. It's really coming along.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:23 pm

Thanks Matt! I am hoping to get it on the water this summer.

I am ordering these brackets to mount the seat to the floor; lets see how they work out. The floor under the front seat is 3/4" plywood so I think I'll just screw these down with some 4200. The rear seat is over glass so I will have to add a wood block.

Associated screws
Attachments
bracket.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:04 pm

Not much progress this week. Rainy and busy with work.

Today I put one coat of CPES on the seat frame. I had some left over CPES from when I put it on the replacement stringer and have not had much of a use for it since. I figured I would use some of it up instead of using regular epoxy in this case. It sure smells terrible!

I filled in some dowel holes with epoxy and added some fillets with the extra epoxy.

I replaced the dash Ammeter with a Cylinder Temp gauge. The Ammeter was proving to be too much of a pain to wire at the dash with the beefy wires that were required.
Attachments
seat 1-20-19.jpg
cyl tem.jpg
cyl tem.jpg (10.33 KiB) Viewed 6242 times
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:33 am

Looking good Jim,

I am not sure if you've gotten to the point of mounting the seat frames yet, but if you wanted to make them removable, how about a couple of those push button steel pins through brackets. They'll keep the seat in place and will be easily removable when you need to do under seat maintenance.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:32 am

That is a good idea Carl. I think I'm just not going to make the seat easily removable after all. There will be wires and gauges in there. too much hassle to worry I think at this time. I tried squeezing up under the dash and I can make it with the seat installed and I can make it (but its not super fun...)

I got to one of those " do I do it this way or that way" moments that had me frozen in inaction... I don't yet know how high the upholstery will come up the back of the bulkhead (is that what its called here?) and the wood was crusty looking doug fir with some old paint that was ingrained. I was always saying up till now I'll just paint it" but since I didn't want to think too far ahead and worry about the color and how that would look with the upholstery I decided to veneer it with the same sexy block figured Makore that is on the dash.

I decided to book mach it around the center-line instead of using one full piece. This gives it a bit more symmetry than the dash. I veneered both sides of a 4mm piece of marine ply (cut to fit the space ahead of time) using a vacuum bag and a press. After the substrate was veneered I then laminated the assembly onto the bulkhead. I thought I was being "smart" and used the dash template with the gauge holes in it as a caul. I thought the 4mm substrate on the piece to be laminated would be rigid enough to not telegraph through the holes but there is a small 4" wide 1/32" tall bubble in one of them. It is barely noticeable by feel but I will need to be careful that I don't sand through the veneer later trying to "fix" it.

Veneering it was more work than painting but it let me break the "Hmm, what should I do" planning cycle. It will also add some class when the seat back is removed so I think it was the right decision all around. It should look sexy when epoxied and varnished.

I still need to trim the top and bottom edges to match the bulkhead, I may use a 1/4" spiral bit on my tiny Dewalt router (worked great on the deck planking) or just hand plane it. I just don't want to tear out the veneer. I'll have to finish off the corners by sanding I think cause nothing else will get in there.
Attachments
before.jpg
clamps.jpg
veneer.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:24 am

Oooh... pretty...
Matt

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:43 pm

Installed the seat yesterday.

I put two screws in each seat back riser to the bulkhead and used low strength caulk to fill the gaps under the legs and added brackets the front legs. I didn't remember that I bought stainless screws to match the stainless brackets until after I install the Silicon bronze screws...

It is sturdy and I am happy how it turned out.
Attachments
Seat.jpg
Brackets.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:09 pm

I drew up a battery box mount and laser cut out a mockup out of wood.I plan to make it out of 1/8" mild steel (a friend has a CNC Plasma Cutter :D )

The mount will be thru bolted into a 3/4" plywood bulkhead. The box will also be strapped down.

The top of the box sits just below the seat.

It will house a Optima Bluetop 34M Starting battery that is slightly smaller than the battery box. What do you all use to shim up the battery inside the box so that is is not sliding and bouncing around inside?

Applicable regulations: 183.420 in USCG Electrical Requirements

Per 183.420 it looks like a box is not required as long as there is a rubber boot...So i could get rid of the box all together if it does not work that good and just add a screw down tie down to hold the battery and add boots to the terminals.
Attachments
box.jpg
box2.jpg
Battery Box.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:52 pm

I'm using a simple battery tray that has posts on either side of the battery and a hold down bar that screws down across the top of the battery.
Matt

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:50 pm

Matt - So no battery box then? Do you cover the terminals?

I may add a hold down feature as well so I can use the mount with or without the battery box.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:05 pm

Finally a nice weekend to paint. I got the first coat of primer on the hull; I'm pretty happy how it turned out. Plan on second coat tomorrow.

Steps:
1. Fill chips and scratches with Interlux Epoxy filler
2. Sand filler
3. Wash and dry
4. Sand entire boat with 150 grit using Festool ETS EC 125
5. Wipe down with Interlux 2333N reducer using Microfiber cloth
6. Mask off brightwork and metalwork
7. Mix up 3:1 Interlux Epoxy Primekote + 20% Interlux 2333N Reducer
8. Spray with Harbor Freight 2mm Spraygun
9. Drink 1 to n Beers (Lagunitas IPA)
10 Post :D
Attachments
Before
Before
After
After
After STBD
After STBD
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

X23

Post by X23 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:33 pm

If you still want an ammeter, did you know that you can relocate the shunt close to the original wire path, and run two small wires up to the meter? This is because the meter is actually a volt meter measuring the voltage drop across the shunt. If yours has an internal shunt, then this method would require some surgery to extract it first.

It is also possible to use low cost millivolt meters as your ammeter. The lowest cost units are digital & come ready to use from across the Pacific Ocean. This way you don't need to insert any additional resistance into the circuit, just tap your big wire at the needed distance.

A digital volt meter is a useful addition, even if it is normally hidden. You can see if your charging system is working that way too.

Found your write up this evening & had a great time going through the entire run. Great workmanship, many good ideas. Thank you for documenting it so well. Will be fun to see the test runs on the water.

Jack

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:43 pm

Hi Jack,

Thank you for the compliments and ideas regarding the Amp meter. I didn't think about cutting it open to extract the shunt. I may still install the one I have as-is but just locate it under the seat close to the battery.

I too am looking forward to getting her on the water this summer!
X23 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:33 pm
Found your write up this evening & had a great time going through the entire run. Great workmanship, many good ideas. Thank you for documenting it so well. Will be fun to see the test runs on the water.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Return to “Power Boats”