Brendons Zip Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

BarnacleMike

Re: Brendons Zip Build

Post by BarnacleMike »

It's looking great!
"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly
Why did the boatbuilder get a divorce? Because he didn't have enough clamps to hold his marriage together!

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett »

Very clean work!
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

bjfrater

Post by bjfrater »

Hi everyone, again a bit of time has passed since my last update. Now that we are in lockdown with this virus I have time to update you all.
I also managed to make a baby since last update and this has really cut into my available boat building time :)

Here are some updates.

I got the sub deck completed the dashboard and all the electrics..

Subdeck done.
20190713_155707.jpg
Dashboard in and all electrics wired up including internal lights, nav lights, stereo, guages and bilge pump. I will only need to run the sender wires for the tach etc once I have a motor sorted.
20190406_155231.jpg
Last edited by bjfrater on Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

bjfrater

Post by bjfrater »

It took me ages to get my deck timber sorted. I spent hours at the timber merchant looking at different cuts trying to find the best quarter sawn ones. I also spent a long time trying to decide between yellow and red ceder. I ended up with yellow even tho I prefer the look of the red because it was a bit denser so will be harder to damage, the red ceder was so soft you could ding it with your fingernail.

I eventually ended up with mahogany and yellow ceder rough sawn that I took to a machinist to cut to 7mm planks also rough sawn.

I have glued on the mahogany and trimmed it up and cut the ceder strips.

Wide! mahogany prior to cutting and scarfing
20200316_121411.jpg
Attaching the coverboard, The weights were enough to get the board tight to the subdeck thankfully, No clamping at the front possible as I had trimmed off the subdeck ply earlier without thinking.
20200412_123252.jpg
Coverboards on but not trimmed
20200414_162502.jpg
More pics in my album if your interested.
Last edited by bjfrater on Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

bjfrater

Post by bjfrater »

Right now i am in the middle of finshing the strips and gluing those on.

Its still all rough sawn at the moment except where I needed to clean it up for fitting. I plan to do loads of sanding to fair it and finish it once its all on. I figure I have plenty of material at 7mm to work with.

Laying out the ceder strips as I cut them..
20200425_124748.jpg
20200425_172156.jpg
Coverboards trimmed
20200426_143312.jpg

bjfrater

Post by bjfrater »

Im really enjoying this part of the build. I like working with real wood, Plywood is just not as fun and you dont get the nice smell. The last part i enjoyed this much was when I was fairing the hull prior to planking.

It was only chance that I managed to get all the materials for the deck organized prior to covid appearing on the scene. It has been a nice distraction to be able to head out and work on the boat and have something meaningful to keep me busy during this time.

Im still struggling to source windshield brackets that are reasonably priced if anyone has some lying around let me know. ;)

Test fit the center board
20200426_143324.jpg
Should be enough weight!
20200427_171035.jpg
20200427_171008.jpg

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Super nice, Brendon! Glad your weights are getting a workout. I've found that kettlebells make good doorstops, fyi.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Looks great! Congratulations on the baby!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Deckwork is coming along nicely Brendon. I know what you mean about having the boat to get through this stay at home stuff. It's actually not been too much of a burden on me.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

bjfrater

Post by bjfrater »

The deck is coming along nicely, I am now getting a good workout sanding with the longboard.

Deck boards all glued in
20200520_124118.jpg
Bow prior to rough cutting the ends off the boards.
- Note my bow deck has more curve than is standard from the Zip plans. I decided I wanted to accentuate the curve more and actually added a small strip to the frames prior to fairing and attaching the subdeck plywood.
20200520_121516.jpg
The ends of the boards are still only rough cut, I was thinking about trimming them up with a router later possibly once I add thickened epoxy to the seams. Im still debating whether to use thickened epoxy for a perfectly flat finish or to use caulking, really tough decision tbh.
20200520_124127.jpg
Last edited by bjfrater on Tue May 26, 2020 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

bjfrater

Post by bjfrater »

Half the boat sanded, probably a good 6 hours of sanding at least to this point. So far using 40 grit getting things nice and even and taking off all the saw marks from the unfinished face of the wood.

I did pull out the plane at one point for a really high bit and then spent a while sanding out the marks. I tried using my belt sander to remove some material quickly but found that it was really easy to create more problems. No permanent issues created but Im going to stick with my RO sander and longboard from here on in.
20200525_145140.jpg
20200525_115806.jpg
20200525_115812.jpg

bjfrater

Post by bjfrater »

Problem!!

This is not in sequence with the last posts as it occurred during the gluing. I just haven't been able to face it yet.

A chip broke out of one of the boards on the bow when I was removing a washer after gluing the board down. It must have been a flaw in the board as there was hardly any pressure applied. However I should have used some wax paper under the washer and have been kicking myself for it.

I will get a photo after sanding, im trying to decide if I should replace the whole board. Unfortunately everything was book matched and a new board wont be. But given how little grain pattern is in this cedar its unlikely to be noticeable.

My current plan is to finish the 40grit sanding and then see how obvious it is when looking at the whole deck.

What would you guys do? Could you live with it?

!#$%#! Chip!
20200520_121544.jpg
Glued back in
20200526_125143.jpg

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Brendon: I think that is one of those things that only you will notice. I'd do a simple repair and move on.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

TomB

Post by TomB »

Brendon,

I would glue the chip too. Sand it flat and it will disappear under the finish.

Tom

Return to “Small outboards”