Malahini from MD

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Hercdrvr

Re: Malahini from MD

Post by Hercdrvr » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:16 pm

My trailer is pretty well tucked under the boat, works fine.
Matt B
Attachments
DDC6DF3A-C6F7-42AB-92EA-FF678E31FC13.png
9F56C2D6-1AA0-4535-BA45-4B1879A36AE4.jpeg
188D48F6-F44C-4267-A4C3-96939EF9D030.jpeg

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:39 pm

I started looking at different brands of trailers. Then seeing where their dealers were. I ended up finding a trailer wholesaler that supplies boat dealers and was able to buy from them and get a good deal on a new old-stock trailer. I never could find a suitable used one for a good deal. My trailer is wide. It's kind of a pain on the narrow roads between the cornfields here.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:53 am

Matt(s) - thank you, this is great. Matt B - OK...this has really helped me narrow down my choice - now I just need to pay the $$$$

footer

Post by footer » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:31 am

Looking for old engines, I've found many boats with engines and trailers from $500-$1000 on Facebook Market Place. I was going to buy the whole set up like that, pull the engine and parts and take the boat to the transfer station, dump it and keep the trailer. Chances are, no matter what you find, it will have to be modified to fit your boat.
I ended up just finding an old trailer for $125 that I modified with new bunks. I live on a lake, so I only need it to go from my house to our access (50 yds away) to put it in and take it out. It does sit high, but I did trailer it ten miles to get my engine put on it and it rode fine.
Attachments
IMG_6388[1].JPG
Modified trailer with bunks to fit my Malahini.

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:26 am

Looks a lot like an old 'Gator' trailer I had for my ZIP. Is that 55lb anvil for tongue weight?
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

footer

Post by footer » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:52 am

Good eye. Yes it is an Anvil. LOL! I need to move my axle back a little. The boat was fine until I put the engine on it. The tongue stays down, but it's really light. I also had to put jack stand under the rear to keep it from tipping up when I get into it.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:42 am

I think the anvil looks pretty awesome - weld it on as a "hood" ornament. You should probably chrome it though.....

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:28 am

so..I bought a trailer. In the end I went new, and bought a Karavan trailer from a place just outside of Baltimore. I have one inch of clearance on either side to get it into my garage. :shock:

Did some work on the fore deck this week. I have to say I really enjoyed this part. Hopefully finish the aft, and do some staining and epoxy when I get some time in the next month or so.
Attachments
IMG_4686.HEIC.jpg

footer

Post by footer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:27 am

Nice job on the forward deck. It's coming together nicely.

Biss

Post by Biss » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:48 am

Deck looks great! So, I didn't fill the screw holes left behind in the seams from the clamping process and when I filled the seams with my mixture of microspheres/epoxy I has some of it seep thru those holes and drip to the bottom of the boat! Made a mess! Not sure what deck seam material you will be using, but if it is very fluid you may want to fill the screw holes prior to doing seams!

Biss

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:27 am

You might try pieces plastic packing tape on the underside of the holes to keep the seam epoxy from dripping through, then peel them off after it sets up. That way no mess and the holes themselves are filled flush with the underside.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:21 am

good advice - I will definitely do that. This weekend I'm going to try and finish the aft decking. I made the mistake of putting some of this on late at night and didn't do a good job on the alignment of the planks - so the port and startboard are ~1/2" different, which is noticeable where they line up with the coverboards. It's enough that it's annoying me, so I will redo it. I never learn not to work when I'm knackered - the fact that I hadn't done anything in a couple of weeks was bugging me so I made the poor decision to epoxy things down when I shouldn't have!

Still really enjoying the process - with the one exception that I'd like a non-dusty garage back at some point. Need to build a separate workshop.... :mrgreen:

footer

Post by footer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:14 am

I did the same thing with my stern. My deck boards were crooked by 1/8". You really can't see it unless you are looking for it, but my deck boards are 1/4" different from the left side to the right. I'm just going to live with it, but I don't like it. So if it bothers you and it's not too much trouble, fix it now, while you can. Most people probably won't notice it though.

I used caulk for my filler. No drips through the screw holes, but very difficult to smooth at the intersections. it also shrank just a little and didn't like the epoxy. So my deck isn't smooth as it should be.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:24 am

Hi Footer - yes...that's where I was too, I don't think anyone would notice but it bugged me, so I planed off two boards and replaced. Barring any issues all the deck boards are now down. I just routed off all the interior overhang. Then, I think the last 'major' bit of new woodworking will be to put trim around the inside (along the dash, down the carlings, and along the back). I would like to do an L-shape, in mahogany, but weighing the options.

Steam.. I think the radius is too extreme to allow me to steam
laminate..seems like a royal PITA
Use a wide piece in the corners and a router to get the radius. I worry about end grain and tear-out/splitting here.

Anyone have a good solution?

This is the other thing I was messing around with below......I don't think I'll do it, but I just wanted to see what it would look like (a bit like the front of the Riva Aquarama).
IMG_4693.jpg
IMG_4692.jpg

footer

Post by footer » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:45 pm

Dude, I love that raised trim. I wanted to do that too, but I went the easy way. Thats a great look. I may in the future. Ive had so much going on I've barely got 4 days in on her in the last month. Ill be putting her in here in a couple weeks, but she wont be done, just water worthy.
I'm not sure what you are referring to steaming?! The trim around your cockpit? The straight runs, aren't actually straight, so I steamed them to bend with the contours of the boat, but the corners were cut out and routered.

Return to “Power Boats”