Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

denbrlr

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by denbrlr » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:35 pm

Carl,

Your boat is looking great. Keep up the good work.

Lee

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:37 pm

Thanks Lee and Jim

Back problems are continuing to slow me down, but not stop me. I've got the port side skins cut to shape now.

IMG_20190816_142217.jpg
IMG_20190816_174040.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:47 pm

You're just so close to slapping on motor on the back of that bad boy and taking her out for a cruise. I might have to take a road trip to Austin.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:30 pm

BayouBengal wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:47 pm
You're just so close to slapping on motor on the back of that bad boy and taking her out for a cruise. I might have to take a road trip to Austin.
:D :D

Well there's still quite a bit to do. For one thing, none of the interior is even installed! But it is exciting to see it coming together. You're certainly welcome to come by an see her if you're in the area.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:32 am

Sounds like you need to come see my chiropractor in Houston. Look him up on YouTube. Dr Gregory Johnson.

#RingDinger

Vera is looking Vera-nice!!

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:07 pm

Thanks Billy. I have been getting ongoing treatment, but it's a slow process.

Today, didn't have much time to work on the boat, but one of the next things I want to do is determine where to place the deck fittings. For me this means, four cleats per side, two fill ports (one for water and one for fuel) on the port side, and eventually bimini mount points. It also includes mounting points for the deck hatch lid hinges, the anchor well hatch cover hinges, possibly a flag pole, and deck lights (either in the center or two separate port and starboard bow lights).

I want to do this because I want to laminate a piece of hardwood to the under side of the deck skins in these areas to give the deck additional reinforcement. I'd like to do this before installing the skins.

So here are some pictures of what I am currently considering . At this point, all I have are the cleats and the fill ports. But what I would appreciate are comments on something I may not have thought of. Consider handling, usage, fender placement, etc.

The considerations I did make were ease of reaching the cleats from the various windows, keeping the fuel fill port (the aft fill port in the picture) away from the cabin, insuring that the two fill ports are in the correct place in relation to the interior water and fuel tanks, and trying to keep the cleats and fill ports in some sort of symmetrical relationship with one another. The distance from the edge is not a consideration right now since this is affected by the sheer. I am only concerned with the fore and aft placement and insuring that the cleats and fill ports are in the best place for boat handling.

The forward most cleat is of special concern. Does it need to be further forward? I was hoping to keep it within reach of the front cabin windows when they are opened to avoid the need to step out on the foredeck to reach it.

Thanks for any feedback on this.

IMG_20190817_154153.jpg
IMG_20190817_154209.jpg
IMG_20190817_154228.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:39 pm

Carl

I put the fuel port on the same side that it is on my truck. In my case that is the portside.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:55 am

Looking good, Carl!

For cleat reinforcements, I epoxied them in place to the hull first and faired them in. This way they were tied into the hull structure. If you glue then to the skins, you will probably have to leave some clearance around them to make you can position the skins for final assembly and then you just moved the stress points around a little. It looks like the side skins are pretty narrow, once you locate the fittings I would mount a board between the sheer and the cabin side.

As far as cleats, definitely consider where you will need bumpers when tying up to the dock. I don't have a cleat at the widest point of my boat and it makes it difficult to protect it. Your positioning looks good for that. I think the forward cleat doesn't need to be farther forward. You might consider a center cleat with chocks on each side if you think you need to move the docking lines farther forward.

Not sure if you will be leaving your boat in the water for extended periods, but you really will want a solid mount for the cleats. They may have to keep 1000+ pounds of boat tied to a dock in a storm...
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:21 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:39 pm
I put the fuel port on the same side that it is on my truck. In my case that is the port side.
Bill
Thanks Bill, that's where it will be on my boat as well, although it's more a function of where the gas tank is going to be mounted.
JimmY wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:55 am
Looking good, Carl!

For cleat reinforcements, I epoxied them in place to the hull first and faired them in. This way they were tied into the hull structure. If you glue then to the skins, you will probably have to leave some clearance around them to make you can position the skins for final assembly and then you just moved the stress points around a little. It looks like the side skins are pretty narrow, once you locate the fittings I would mount a board between the sheer and the cabin side.

As far as cleats, definitely consider where you will need bumpers when tying up to the dock. I don't have a cleat at the widest point of my boat and it makes it difficult to protect it. Your positioning looks good for that. I think the forward cleat doesn't need to be farther forward. You might consider a center cleat with chocks on each side if you think you need to move the docking lines farther forward.

Not sure if you will be leaving your boat in the water for extended periods, but you really will want a solid mount for the cleats. They may have to keep 1000+ pounds of boat tied to a dock in a storm...
Thanks Jimmy,

First off, other than an occasional night over, the boat will be stored out of the water. But I am planning on making fairly sizable backing plates nonetheless. Good point about the widest part of the hull. I will double check that before final placement. I will look into chocks and decide if I want them. I assume you are talking about the somewhat oval shaped deck fittings that are cut open across the tops to allow a rope to slide into. One challenge however for the center fitting is that there will be a big circular hatch in the middle of the deck.

I just traced the frame structure on the underside of the skins (which are already fitted) and will use that to pre-drill the mounting holes as well as determine the sizes of the backing plates.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:42 am

Cleat positions look good. My take on cleat reenforcement is stout but not so stout it tears the deck off. I want my cleats to rip out before it yanks the deck off.
Your requirements may differ,
Matt B

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:57 pm

My deck cleats are backed by a second layer of ply and then I used thru bolts to attach the cleats.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:34 am

Thanks for the feedback Matt and Matt.

I will be through bolting the cleats and the backing will either be hardwood or plywood, although I am now leaning towards plywood which I think will be better for this application. The cleats I bought are quite nice with two holes on the ends and a third hole in the center. All three bolts are supplied.

As for ripping off the deck, man, I sure hope I never have my boat in the kind of conditions that would do that! :D :D

Seriously though, I will be backing them up adequately and securely. That is the main point of this exercise, to determine the best location of the cleats and other deck hardware so that I can place the backing plates in the correct location.

I'm real happy with these cleats BTW. Nice quality and attention to detail in packing gives me confidence that they are well made.
IMG_20190819_082717.jpg
IMG_20190819_082746.jpg
IMG_20190819_082817.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:55 am

:D Wow! those are really nice;compared to the cast aluminum ones I got
IMG_1181[1].JPG
I even got a couple little ones for fenders
IMG_1182[1].JPG
I'm putting my deck fills away from each other(one on each side of the boat)
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:27 pm

chugalug wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:55 am
I'm putting my deck fills away from each other(one on each side of the boat)
Both of mine will be on the same side, but I am separating them by about 6 feet . The fuel fill port will be the aft one and just aft of the side wings. Also, although it probably wouldn't be noticed, each port is identified by the type of liquid.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:06 pm

Hi Carl,
If I heard you right, you said both cleats on the same side of the boat. Don't forget, you can't always find a dock on one side of the boat. Think launch docks, and docks where one side is full. I would put two cleats on each side of the boat. Position them where the dock lines will be You will want them to be close to the bow and stern of the boat. For fenders, you can always get smaller cleats, and put them where the fender will rest. The curve of the boat will have a lot to do with where the fenders will be. Visualize where the boat might hit the dock. I have three fender cleats on each side of the boat.
Jim

p.s. I really like the cleats you picked out.
Attachments
20190413_144218.jpg
notice the small fender cleats at the beam between the cockpits. There are also fender cleats at the bow and stern.
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Return to “Power Boats”