Gas Fuel Filters

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Milhouse

Gas Fuel Filters

Post by Milhouse » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:07 pm

Any recommendations for a marine rated gasoline fuel filter? This will be the post-pump filter for my 250 Hp Chevy 327.

I will have a water separator before the pump, 60Gph, 10Micron. It says it can only be installed before the pump on the suction side as it is only rated for 1.5PSI working pressure.

I am not looking for this kind, one started my friends Cougar on fire.

I have this one in my Falcon, no issues, but its not marine rated and it does not have a bracket for mounting

Some relevant requirements from the USCG:
  • 183.536 Seals and gaskets in fuel filters and strainers. (b) Each gasket and each sealed joint in a fuel filter and strainer must not leak when subjected for 24 hours to a gasoline that has at least 50 percent aromatic content at the test pressure marked on the fuel tank label.
  • 183.556 Plugs and fittings.
    (b) A plug used to service the fuel filter or strainer must have a tapered pipethread or be a screw type fitted with a locking device other than a split lock washer.
  • 183.570 Fuel filters and strainers: Installation.
    Each fuel filter and strainer must be supported on the engine or boat structure independent from its fuel line connections, unless the fuel filter or strainer is inside a fuel tank.
  • 183.590 Fire test. Each fuel filter, strainer and its connections will not leak more than 5 ounces of fuel in 2-1/2 minutes after the fire test in 183.590.
Attachments
Snippet from the USCG boat Builders manual
Snippet from the USCG boat Builders manual
This is the Water Separator that I am using before the pump
This is the Water Separator that I am using before the pump
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Mr Hot Rod

Re: Gas Fuel Filters

Post by Mr Hot Rod » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:47 am

You're making great progress on your boat !

Here are some inks to marine-rated fuel filters and heads. Look for the High Volume filter heads with 1/2" NPT Inlet/Outlet ports for performance marine engines.

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com
Glen-L Hot Rod build thread
Kane Custom Boats YouTube channel
Glen-L Boat Video Directory

Forum Support Knowledge Base

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:01 am

Mr Hot Rod wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:47 am
Here are some inks to marine-rated fuel filters and heads.
Thanks Paul! So do you have a water separator before the pump and a water separator after the pump? What is throwing me off is that the filter you linked (GLM 24940) says it is a water separating filter (but it does not have a bowl). Would I still use the S3228TUL with the bowl before the pump and the GLM 24940 after the pump (not sure I have a good place to put it though). See pic.

The 025--RAC--10A looks like a marine rated (I assume) inline version of unscrew-able see-thru filter that I am not a fan of. I suppose I could make a bracket for it; this would be better to save some room.

I suppose this thread would be better Here (if a moderator wants to move it that is fine by me).

Also Paul, can you take a look at the last few posts in my thread here and comment on the cable steering setup (spring or no spring).
Attachments
pump pic.jpg
filter2.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:43 am

USCG rule says the filter need a metal bowl if it is enclosed. If the bowl is in an open area it can be clear. :?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:15 pm

Why do you need another filter in addition to the Fuel filter/water separator? My 1991 351 donor motor didn’t have any filtration after the water separator filter.
Matt B

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:32 pm

My diesel only has the one filter. It is mounted on the engine. I put a 10 micron filter on the fuel line for the Yamaha. The Yamaha has a filter inside the cowling also.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Rich Coey

Post by Rich Coey » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:30 pm

Same here I just have a water separator/filter like Paul shows. On the suction side just before the fuel pump.

Rich

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:32 pm

Hercdrvr wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:15 pm
Why do you need another filter in addition to the Fuel filter/water separator? My 1991 351 donor motor didn’t have any filtration after the water separator filter.
I thought that I did (per coast guard pic), but maybe not; I am open to suggestions.
Last edited by Milhouse on Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:32 pm

Rich Coey wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:30 pm
Same here I just have a water separator/filter like Paul shows. On the suction side just before the fuel pump.
Thanks Rich - Good to know, that makes my life easier.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:54 am

Here’s what happens when a fuel filter leaks on top of the engine. It was a rough day.
Matt B
Attachments
F82B6945-A8CC-41DA-B6B2-474AD3BB667C.jpeg

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:44 am

At least it got rid of the "Screaming chicken" on the hood! :lol:
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:34 pm

Hercdrvr wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:54 am
Here’s what happens when a fuel filter leaks on top of the engine. It was a rough day.
Yep, same thing happened to my friends Cougar; did you fix it up? I will stick with the one remote mounted filter / water separator.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:36 pm

Milhouse wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:34 pm
Hercdrvr wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:54 am
Yep, same thing happened to my friends Cougar; did you fix it up? I will stick with the one remote mounted filter / water separator.
Wrapping up a Barrelback then on to the Trans Am.

Return to “Miscellaneous”