New Sweet Caroline build started

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

parsj1957

Re: New Sweet Caroline build started

Post by parsj1957 »

On this Sweet Caroline plan, it calls for a 1/8 x 1" strap around the corners of the motor board and the motor well secured with (5 or 6) 5/16" carriage bolts. So I'm curious on folk's approach here around these issues:
1) I'm concerned long term with the square 'lock' of the carriage bolt working the wood and becoming loose. So I plan to have the 1/8" strap with 'squared off' holes to hold the carriage bolt head. On the other end, fender washers and nuts should work as long as I maintain 'access' to the nuts for tightening caused by motor vibration and or wood/fiberglass compression/shrinkage.
2) If I put the carriage bolt heads on the 'water' side of the motor well, I could put them in before fiberglassing with an additional strap to the one on the inside , glass over them, and still have access to nuts inside to tighten, and 'extra' metal strap holding bolt heads ensures that I can expect them to stay in place and not spin.
3) Or I could install bolts after glassing and could then have carriage bolt heads embedded in straps inside boat, but still have access to nuts & fender washers on 'water side' for tightening. Would look cleaner inside the boat, but I'm not sure of any 'compression' issues on the fiberglass/wood over time.

Motor forces (40hp Merc will mount to motor board), and fiberglass short and long term issues are new to me so any thoughts on best practices greatly appreciated.

Thanks J.
J.

sproggy

Post by sproggy »

The square portion of a carriage bolt is to prevent it from spinning while you tighten the nut. It won't serve any purpose once fitted as the bolt shouldn't move. I'm not familiar with your particular design but on the Zip the carriage bolt heads are recessed below the surface (of the keel or transom) and later epoxied over. The nuts and washers are also slightly recessed on the other side. Assemble with epoxy and the bolt itself plus the nut and washer are there forever - zero chance of them coming loose. Compression of the timber resulting in the bolts coming loose is unlikely IMO if you put it together right.

parsj1957

Post by parsj1957 »

IMG_1730.jpg
Time to start the scarf joints - first of four...
J.

parsj1957

Post by parsj1957 »

IMG_1826.jpg
Side panels are on, bottom rough fit -- encapsulate and attach...

Had a quick thought - I'd like to have two drain plugs (one each side of motor well) to drain as I pull it out onto a trailer. Probably easier to drill the holes now prior to attaching the bottom panel. But I'm also a bit concerned about drilling a two 1" holes through the two bottom frame pieces on the transom -- no issue with how to drill - but do I need to worry about weakening that member? Not sure where else I could drill a drain hole without leaving several inches of water in the hull? Thoughts? Advice? Thanks in advance...
J.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

You'd need a lot more than a couple of 1" holes to weaken the transom. I have one hole on the port side of the keel. If there is water on the other side I just mop it up easily with a towel.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Two holes should not be a problem. Drill them over sized and encapsulate liberally with epoxy. Then install the brass tubes.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

parsj1957

Post by parsj1957 »

IMG_1906.jpg
First coat of epoxy on the fiberglass -- two big learnings for me. I haven't done fiberglass for over 40 years so all the folks who are more experienced can start laughing now...
1) I thought the epoxy usage would be similar to what it took to encapsulate the plywood...I was only off by a factor of five! It worked out, but there was definitely some scrambling when I realized how many 'pots' of epoxy I would be measuring and mixing. But really glad I did the encapsulation first - I can only imagine how much it would have sucked up if the wood was soaking it in as well. And I'd imagine require more time to go back over areas that 'dried' out due to the wood absorption. At least I only had to go back to catch the areas I missed.

2) I had 894 (yes I counted) countersunk screws to fill. I used Pettit Ez-fair which I found to be easy to dispense, use, and sand. So for me it was worth the high cost and I know I can trust Pettit to last a long time. But I should not have used a white product-- when wetting out the fabric every filled spot looked like a dry spot. And when there was a dry spot aligned with the filler it was hard to see. With perfect hindsight now I'd use some product with a color tint to avoid this issue.
But gotta say it feels good to be closing in on flipping this little gal over...
J.

parsj1957

Post by parsj1957 »

Fiberglassed, sanded, primed, sanded, primed, sanded and two coats of bottom paint... -- will flip it onto my trailer and work on the inside after this sets up for a few days. Very happy to be past this point! I delegated the color choice to my adult daughter - I used Pettit Vivid paint and this is one part Red and one part Yellow -- its a great coral color that I'm really liking - especially because my typical color choice would not have been anywhere near a red. I'm looking forward to my wood cover and rub rail as well as the center console to really accent this color nicely.

IMG_2068.jpg
J.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Looking great, nice job!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

parsj1957

Post by parsj1957 »

Got to do my flip today -- Sweet Caroline is light enough I was able to do it solo with my hoist.
First step - leaning against my tables
IMG_2080.jpg

All flipped and lifted so trailer can back up right under it.
IMG_2090.jpg

All happy sitting outside - I think I'll let the paint completely outgas for a couple of days while I figure out what I'm doing in the inside... fun times ahead!!!
IMG_2098.jpg
J.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Congratulations!

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Another flip, sweet! Looking good :)

Lee

parsj1957

Post by parsj1957 »

Design time! Wanted to mock up my center console - to see what size I really had, and if I was 'skinny enough' (failed that one...)

Took an old box and a used piece of ThermoPly and some scrap lumber and my console was in place in minutes... if only the real one went as fast!
Console design 3.JPG

Stepping back the size seems good to me relative to the hull size and yet it's tall enough I can sit behind it, short enough to be easy for me (6'3") to stand and see over it. And the control heights work for me to reach in both positions

Console design 1.JPG

It's a tight squeeze to walk by - so I'd read in either wooden boat or small boat magazine an article where they put a bit of tumblehome on the cabin to make it easier to walk past - so I cut the Thermoply and 'angled' the side in one inch at the top -- and it was surprising how much easier it was to walk by -- surprising even given that I was expecting it to help... so the final design will incorporate this angle, and will definitely have hand rails at the top...

IMG_2152.jpg
J.

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Wow, that is a cool looking boat and you have made amazing progress!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

parsj1957

Post by parsj1957 »

IMG_2255.jpg
Plugging away on the cover boards -- progress -
J.

Return to “Power Boats”