Where to start...

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Iggy

Re: Where to start...

Post by Iggy »

Quick update.

About 5 years ago I posted a Part 1 of 2 video diary of the construction of my Malahini. Then my video editing software wouldn't work on my new operating system so I didn't complete Part 2.

4 Years ago I launch Old Black Rum and made a video of the launch along with some build pictures as well.

I kinda left my Part 2 on the back-burner... until yesterday. I bough a new version of my video editing software and put up a video collage of the rest of my construction process.

A link to the Youtube video is below.. enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPDqMafd6dM
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Ian

I had fun!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Like the video Iggy. Boat came out great.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."
joshuab

Post by joshuab »

Love the vid and the song!
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Hello fellow boat-builders! I hope everyone is still happily covered in dust and epoxy since I last dropped in.

I've been busy finishing the basement of my home... not quite as fun as building a boat, costs about the same amount also... but still happily keeping my hands busy... till about 2 months ago.

2 months ago... my wife asked me to 'come see something' on her computer, in her office, near our kitchen. I was a bit grumpy, and didn't want to 'see something' at that moment... (which is often code for 'fix this computer'), so I grumbled. She insisted... so I grudgingly came into the office.

Then she told me it was something someone we know 'liked' on facebook I should see. I am not a big facebook fan, so I wasn't exactly eager to try to help hear sort through a whole bunch of crap posts to find whatever she wanted me to 'see'... cat video no doubt. So I was still grumpy.

Then... she found the liked post.. it was a Ad... an Ad for a brand new lakeside RV development at a lake I was on just last June for the first time. See... my wife has been enduring my life-long desire to have a lot near a lake... on the lake is a rich-man's game in my nick of the woods... and even 'near' a lake is about a quarter of a million dollars for a shack... plus taxes... and only VERY grey-haired or wealthy men play that game.

So... this was for me... for a dream of mine... and my grumpy self quickly turned excited... and apologetic... and excited.

Something else that is ULTRA rare in my nick of the woods is ANY kind of lakeside development. The regulators.. neighboring communities.. and immense land costs (very few boat-able lakes) make it near impossible for developers to take the chance and make the investment.

It was the developers 'opening weekend' at a RV show in a smaller city a few hours away. The new RV area on a lot alongside a very undeveloped lake... seriously undeveloped and underpopulated lake... which is about 1.5 hours from my home. I knew the lake, looked at it from Google Earth dozens of times in my quest to find an affordable home near a lake, and it was on my list of good-to-go if an opportunity came my way.

And there is was... that morning, on my wife's computer... on a liked Facebook page... opening weekend. All lots where first come, first serve, all the same price... all 35 year leases on fully serviced camp sites (only, no houses, no permanent structures). There are a LOT of them... hundreds... but each lot is a fair size (45'x65').

So... we called the number on the facebook ad and spoke to a sales rep for the developer. We inquired about the status of various lots that caught our eye... were considering putting a refundable small deposit 'just in case' we wanted to get one... although I had my doubt about my wife allowing me to do that... when the sales agent told me that one of the Lots on the lakefront was let go by another person.

That was it... we put a deposit down.. and then agonized for the next few weeks (which was as long as the deposit could hold the site) deciding if THIS was the direction we wanted to go. All the pros...all the cons... giving up on one dream (building a cabin) and taking on a new dream. Finding the money (unexpected.. the basement reno was where we were investing), and then looking at all our expenses... running the numbers over and over and over again till I was certain... YES... this is what I wanted.

Bank appointment.. agonizing 3 week process.... and one Big Caveat from my wife... the OLD trailer had to go. New Trailer only for our New Lot.

So... got financing, bought the lot lease and shopped a hundred or so RV dealerships... and a just today we drove home or new RV camper.

If the development goes on schedule, and it may not.. but around June of this year (which is when the lakes are done being frozen anyways).. we will be bringing or new trailer AND Old Black Rum (Malahini) to its new home base.

Almost twenty years of looking... a few changes in goals.. but one of my big life bucket-list dreams is coming alive.

https://rvlots.ca/paradise_shores_rv_park.html ... Lot 49 on the Plateau.

Decks, Gazebo's, Storage Sheds, Fire Pits... so plenty of ways I can still 'build' a little to make it my own.

Keep on dreaming folks... the dream may come at you early in the morning, when you are grumpy... but when it comes, you'll be ready for it.
Last edited by Iggy on Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build
BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

Great story, Iggy. Congratulations!!!
and shopped a hundred or so RV dealerships... and a just today we drove home or new RV camper.
But, you do know that Glen-L just happens to sell RV plans, don't you?
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

BayouBengal wrote:Great story, Iggy. Congratulations!!!
and shopped a hundred or so RV dealerships... and a just today we drove home or new RV camper.
But, you do know that Glen-L just happens to sell RV plans, don't you?
I did, but to be honest that didn't cross my mind at this time. It did in the past.. but my wife wants space... which means slides... and I am not particularly motivated to build my own camper. A friend of mine built a Tiny house out of his old camper.. and its cool... but not something my wife finds appealing. House is her domain.. same goes for camper!

I am thinking of building a bunkie / storage shed... smaller scale but can still house a few kids in some bunk beds.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build
billy c

Post by billy c »

Congratulations Iggy!
That is a great way to get on the lake! We did the same search for quite a few years to find the right opportunity. Good luck with your new RV and keep us updated with more videos of your new adventure.
Billy
hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Wow, that looks so relaxing!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Hello builders.. a few updates:

I just finished converting Old Black Rum's boat trailer from bulbs to LED lights will all new wiring. Took 2 days... more time than I expected but there were a lot of finicky things I had to deal with. The new LED light components were 'thicker', and their hole spaces were different than the factory lights, so I ended up having to tap/tread a lot of holes.. and my tap broke in one hole... so ya... fun fun fun. I ran new wiring because, from time to time, my truck's electronic transmission would LOCK in park when the trailer.. boat trailer only.. was attached. And I had to fiddle with the connection to get it 'unlocked', which sucked. So I ran new wires, built a new harness, and everything worked 1st try so very happy. Also, LED lights are cool looking.. will upload a photo later on, forgot to take a picture today as I also took the opportunity to grease the bearings and fill the tires before I put her back in the shed. Sore, tired, grumpy... getting older suck guys :(

The lake lot I leased is another interesting story. We bought the lease, and the owners built about half the lots (318 of 750) in 'Phase 1' of the development, including mine... which we were able to take possession of in August last year. We sodded the yard, did some landscaping (a few trees and bushes planted) and built a nice 18'x14' pressure treated deck beside the trailer.
20180902_143114.jpg
However, as I mentioned in my previous story about regulations and near-impossible standards to develop lake-side resorts... the county decided to allow an appeal to proceed (after previously agreeing to a dispute resolution with the developer) and the members of the appeal board tossed out the previous development plan (and fired the county planner) and dictated that the RV resort lots had to follow the sub-divided density rules, which apply to houses, permanent houses.

So.. the 750 lot resort could only have 168 lots. The developer is taking the county to court, which takes forever as you can imagine, so construction on the resort has stopped. Its been a rough winter waiting for this to work out. I'm in this for the long haul... there are almost no other options that cost less than a quarter million dollars (and taxes that are crazy high).. and the developer is pushing back hard and Phase 1 should be opening up on May 17 with any luck.. even if the court is not settled yet.

My family has other camping trips arranged, and Old Black Rum will be going with us to a few nearby lakes. Last year she only touched the water once.. and the starter had issues (fixed now), so this year I am motivated to get more fishing time.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build
alex0001

Post by alex0001 »

nice work
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Happy summer folks. Got Old Black Rum out on the water quite a bit this year, able to add to my families memories including:
- Daughters boyfriend fishing and catching his first with us.
- Nephew catching is first fish with us (casting only 4ft from the boat at a time, but not bad for a 6yr old)
- Son wake-boarding for the first time.
- Actually seeing another woody boat (Chris Craft) on an Alberta lake (Wizard Lake).. called "Wizard Woody"

I am putting up a 2nd Shelterlogic canvas curved top shelter for the winter storage this weekend.. the last one lasted 8 years which is pretty darn good.. but the last one was about 4ft short of covering the trailer hitch, so this time I got a larger one (Canadian Tire sale.. ya baby!)

My Malahini got a small upgrade.. a Garmin Striker 4 Fishfinder, where I mounted the sonar to the transom, works well (will try to post pictures later). Love it... works fantastic... water temp, speed, GPS location bookmarking, and depth/fish location. Easy install.. worked perfect out of the box. $160 CAN$.

My last launch was a bit interesting... I had some guests visiting and got out of my usual routine for launching the boat. I had six adult-sized bodies with me.. a tight fit in my Malahini.. and I had someone else back the trailer and park it for me after unloading. Well... I forgot to grab my transom drain plug... and because I was chatting away with a full-boat it took me a bit to notice the transom dipping down. Once I realized what I had forgotten.. the truck was already parked a block away and the transom was very low in the water.

So... I did a few things:
- I got a few bodies off onto a nearby pier.
- I hit my sump switch... I have two 1gph sumps in my boat.. and they started to pump water out.
- I and remembered I had a spare plug that was in my (still locked) compartment, so I quickly unlocked it and ripped open the packaging.
- I leaned over to put the plug in, however it was not set property (too lose), so I pulled it out and twisted it to fatten it up.

That did the trick.. the sumps managed to remove the water in a minute or so... I picked-up the extra guests and we went for a nice cruise.

Glad I installed those sumps.. glad I put a spare plug in the boat... glad I was close to the pier when it happened. Everything bought me more time to react and fix the issue. I know I could have sped up the boat and gone to plane to drain her.. however I rather fix the problem where I am still close to shallow water.. just in case.

Also, my last drive later that day was to pull the kids on the tube, something I've done dozens of times already. I got a little bit away from the pier was was starting the tubing when the engine controller started to chirp. I figured it was low on oil so I stopped the motor and added a quart of oil. It wasn't empty.. and not really that low.. but whatever.

However, after I added oil the engine would turn-over but not fire. The controller was still kinda buzzing.. lightly.. when the start motor was turning it over... but the engine itself would not fire. I checked my controller cables.. still plugged. Tried again.. nothing.

So.. the boys helped push/paddle me back to shore.. and we winched the boat onto the trailer. I am not sure what the problem is... 1989 Mariner (merc) 90 HP 2-Stroke.. might be that the float-magnet in the oil injection tank fell off (happens apparently). I haven't had the chance to trouble-shoot the motor yet. I am a rookie on engines.. know enough to operate but never opened one up. I'll have to spend some time learning how to trouble-shoot this.. and/or bring it to a mechanic.

I am getting due for a re-sanding/re-painting finish redo... she has seen a lot of traffic.. angry boat piers that like to scratch her up. Looking at spring 2021 as I don't have a heated garage anymore.. nor is my current garage large enough anyway. Will have to use the farm shed.. big and bright.. but 20 minutes away.

Looking to add some LED under-rail lights to the cockpit area. Also looking to make a cockpit cover for when I trailer her in the rail.. keep the mud out.

I also need to find a better way to carry/store the fishing rods.. they get caught-up in each other under the deck.. need a rail or socket system instead.

It's been 8 years.. 9 lakes.. hundreds of hours... dozens of fish.. teenage kids growing up into adults with a family boat as part of their memories.

Very, very worth every dime... every sliver.. every sore muscle... every sleepless night obsessed with the build.

While I admire other boats.. and appreciate the value of the modern day boat amenities... my Glen-K Malahini is mine to my very core, as much a part of me as my hands. Not perfect, but damn fine, and more than enough to make me smile every time I see her.

Still more to do.. to pay for in cash, sweat and slivers... but so what.. I will rest when I am dead.

For those of you still sanding away.. keep on it.. the prize is well work the effort.
For those of you out boating.. keep smiling.. I know you are!

Will post some pictures shortly.. I promise or you can give me hell.

Iggy
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build
DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Iggy: Thanks for the update. Sounds like you have had a blast over the years. Hopefully my malahini will hit the water sometime next summer. I would be interested in what you come up with for rods as mine will be stored under the floor as well.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."
FL-John

Post by FL-John »

Iggy: I just went back and read (most of) you entire thread. Very inspiring. I just started a barrelback, my first build, and I could really relate to your early posts. What have I got myself into? I don't have the skills, tools, _____, to do this. Frustrations and set backs and the all consuming obsession.

Seeing the beautiful boat you ended up with and the great memories you made with your family is confidence inspiring!Thanks for sharing!
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

FL-John wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:06 am Iggy: I just went back and read (most of) you entire thread. Very inspiring. I just started a barrelback, my first build, and I could really relate to your early posts. What have I got myself into? I don't have the skills, tools, _____, to do this. Frustrations and set backs and the all consuming obsession.

Seeing the beautiful boat you ended up with and the great memories you made with your family is confidence inspiring!Thanks for sharing!
Thanks John, from time to time I come back and re-read my journal as well... I kinda remember the frustrations and concerns I had, but those memories fade in comparison. What I do remember is the obsession... very few times in my life I've had that kind of intense drive to do something. I can see why others have built more than one boat, just to re-live that experience (and do all the things you wished you did last time).

Barrelback is one of my absolute favorites.. in a different time, with a different facility... I would love to have built one of those pieces of living art. I follow a Facebook group that features Glen-L boaters, and see new launches from time to time. What a legacy the Witt family has created.. worldwide. I still have my 'Boatbuilding with Plywood' book right beside me on my desk. New builders and old.. both inspire me still to this day!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1267508363277785
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Return to “Small outboards”