Finishing advise needed

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

twier

Finishing advise needed

Post by twier »

Hello,

I used a dye (General Finishes Water Based Dye) on the cover boards of my Zip and I have just added a second coat of epoxy over the dye. My problem is I'm now not sure I like the color of the dye with the rest of the color scheme. Can I just paint over the epoxy once I have enough coats and get it smooth - leaving the dye on and not having to sand everything down to bare wood?

Thanks

kens

Re: Finishing advise needed

Post by kens »

yes, you can paint over epoxy
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

If you still want a "bright finish", you ill find that the dyes do not penetrate very deep into the wood. If you sand off the epoxy, the dyes will come off too with a little extra effort. I did not like my first dye job, and was able to sand it off and start over.

Best advise is to practice on scrap decking material, and go through the whole finishing process from dyes, epoxy, and final top coat.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

twier

Post by twier »

Thanks for the replies. It would appear I have options for the coverboards: leave as is, paint over the dye and epoxy, or sand off everything and leave bright. I have sanded off some dye on a test and it is pretty easy. I'm going to enlist some second opinions on which way to go. The work involved either way appears to be no big deal.

The other issue I have is I got the mahogany king and cover boards from the same lumber yard but at a different location as this second location had the big bandsaw for the resawing. These boards look terrible. While all the other mahogany is light, fine grained, and uniform the resaw boards are all over the place once I put the epoxy on them. Uneven grain patterns. Light, dark, tan, brown, and even green colors! It looks like someone smashed a calico cat on them.

I think my only option is to go for a"real old but in good shape look".

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

You could try a dark stain on these to even out the color and mute the wild grain. There are several examples of dark covering boards and king plank, with lighter field boards.

Other option is to get some new boards milled. The cost of new boards is a small fraction of the total cost, and they will be with you for the life of the boat.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

twier

Post by twier »

Thanks, I never thought of staining the field boards.

Return to “Painting”