Glen L-15 Build

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

MATT Will BUILD

Glen L-15 Build

Post by MATT Will BUILD »

Hi There! I am newbie to the site and building boats. I am budgeting a build for a Glen L 15 for my son and I to build this year. I have got some lumber quotes from a couple of yards nearby in NY and CT based on the bill of materials here https://www.glen-l.com/designs/sailboat/gl15-bom.html

So far, for the solid wood I am at $813 for Philippine Mahogany, $888 for Oak or $1233 for Spruce. Plywood is $335 for Philippine Mahogany or $547 for Okoume Plywood.

So for you all, I have some questions before I make my lumber order. I need to order in the entirety since I am having it delivered. Here we go:
1. Is there a best wood for the solid wood options above (Philippine Mahogany, Oak or Spruce)?
2. Should I mix and match woods for a better finished look or strength in some areas (ie Bedlogs/frames/battens)?
3. Which Plywood Philippine Mahogany or Okoume Plywood should I go with and any reasons why?
4. I noticed that the list of materials do not list for wood mast/boom but probably going to keep my eye out for a used 22’ aluminum set-up on Craigslist. Any recommendations on what to look for when buying a spare parts boat? I will be looking for one with a trailer.
5. Floorboards and seating materials are not listed on the Glen L materials. I bet this is because it is a customizable tailored thing for the builder. I like the look of Leib’s build with individual boards running length ways for both: https://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/glen-l- ... ississippi
My question, however, is this best to go with 1”x2” x about 12’ boards? AND what is the best wood option there as well? It appears that if this is the best way to go that it adds about $1000-$1500 to the build (yikes). I am open to suggestions here like go save about $200 once the boat is done at big box store.
6. To support these seats and floorboards, It appears that you need either plywood or solid wood additional to what are in the plans??? If so, what is best to use here?
7. What is the best hardware to attach the floor boards and the seats to their supports?

Thank you all!!! Excited to start soon and share my build as we go

kens

Re: Glen L-15 Build

Post by kens »

Hi, welcome
I'll take a shot at this,
MATT Will BUILD wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:44 pm
Hi There! I am newbie to the site and building boats. I am budgeting a build for a Glen L 15 for my son and I to build this year. I have got some lumber quotes from a couple of yards nearby in NY and CT based on the bill of materials here https://www.glen-l.com/designs/sailboat/gl15-bom.html

So far, for the solid wood I am at $813 for Philippine Mahogany, $888 for Oak or $1233 for Spruce. Plywood is $335 for Philippine Mahogany or $547 for Okoume Plywood.

So for you all, I have some questions before I make my lumber order. I need to order in the entirety since I am having it delivered. Here we go:
1. Is there a best wood for the solid wood options above (Philippine Mahogany, Oak or Spruce)?
I like mahogany the best, any species mahoganyI like better than oak
2. Should I mix and match woods for a better finished look or strength in some areas (ie Bedlogs/frames/battens)?
the straightest grain wood you have is best for longitudinals, battens, chine, sheers,
mix & match color/species is builders choice,
3. Which Plywood Philippine Mahogany or Okoume Plywood should I go with and any reasons why?
as long as it is marine grade, BS1088 it will be fine. and very surprised to hear about mahogany cheaper than okoume
4. I noticed that the list of materials do not list for wood mast/boom but probably going to keep my eye out for a used 22’ aluminum set-up on Craigslist. Any recommendations on what to look for when buying a spare parts boat? I will be looking for one with a trailer.
5. Floorboards and seating materials are not listed on the Glen L materials. I bet this is because it is a customizable tailored thing for the builder. I like the look of Leib’s build with individual boards running length ways for both: https://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/glen-l- ... ississippi
My question, however, is this best to go with 1”x2” x about 12’ boards? AND what is the best wood option there as well? It appears that if this is the best way to go that it adds about $1000-$1500 to the build (yikes). I am open to suggestions here like go save about $200 once the boat is done at big box store.
you can scarf joint to get any length you want, scarf wider boards then rip them narrow
6. To support these seats and floorboards, It appears that you need either plywood or solid wood additional to what are in the plans??? If so, what is best to use here?
7. What is the best hardware to attach the floor boards and the seats to their supports?

Thank you all!!! Excited to start soon and share my build as we go
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

I agree with Ken on mahogany not oak. The mahogany plywood may be cabinet grade and intended for interior use only. Be sure to check. Interior plywood will delam in marine environment. Where are you in NY? Boards and Beams near me in NJ has many species of wood in various lengths and widths. They have rough cut and surfaced. Might be worth the trip if your not too far away.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

MATT Will BUILD

Thanks Kens! That helps a lot. I still would appreciate anyone else chiming in too. Thanks!!!

MATT Will BUILD

DrBryanJ wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:28 am
I agree with Ken on mahogany not oak. The mahogany plywood may be cabinet grade and intended for interior use only. Be sure to check. Interior plywood will delam in marine environment. Where are you in NY? Boards and Beams near me in NJ has many species of wood in various lengths and widths. They have rough cut and surfaced. Might be worth the trip if your not too far away.
Hi DrBryanJ...I am just on the other side of the Hudson near Tarrytown. Your place is about an hour from me. Definitely will try them if my local company does not have what I need. Thanks for the response and recommendation!

Return to “Wood and Plywood”