Electric Longboard - Practicing Techniques!

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

18shamic

Electric Longboard - Practicing Techniques!

Post by 18shamic »

Hello!

I will take this post down if requested, since it doesn't have much to do with boats - no harm, I completely understand.

While I have been at college, I have been unable to work on the boat - but that doesn't mean I can't practice some of the skills needed to finish the project. Since I do not have a car, I have been building electric longboards for some time now to get around campus. I always put them together quickly, since it was just a method of transportation.

Since I am stuck in my dorm room (COVID) I have been working on this board, and I am quite pleased with how it turned out. I have been applying the boatbuilding methods that I have learned through the boat project to design and build this board. It taught me how to apply epoxy and varnish in such a way that they both cure, and provide a durable UV resistant finish. It has even repelled the salt from the winter no problem! Anyway, I modeled the board after my boat, and I think you can really see that in the design. It has a top speed of 33mph and a range of around 21 miles, 30 if you go slow. This is my do everything vehicle - I even do food delivery on it! Anyway, just thought I would put this out there to share with you guys!

Thank you!

-Michael
Attachments
20200817_225452.jpg
20200817_225405.jpg
20200710_211209.jpg

18shamic

Re: Electric Longboard - Practicing Techniques!

Post by 18shamic »

More pictures!
Attachments
20201108_161156.jpg
20200710_211820.jpg
20200710_211222.jpg

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Dude, that's awesome!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Very cool!

Any specs on the power system?
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

18shamic

Post by 18shamic »

Thank you!

I didn't see these replies! I need to turn on my notifications. Yes - The power system is as follows:

Battery: 12 in series, 3 in parallel using Molicel 21700 P42A cells spot welded together. This makes the battery pack 18 inches long and 5 3/4 inches wide. Each cell is 4200mAh and a voltage of 4.2 volts, which means I am running at 50.4 volts with a capacity of around 600 watt hours.

Motors: 2x 6384 size 190kv 4000watt sealed brushless outrunner motors - they are slightly shorter than soda cans, but about the same diameter.

Gear Ratio: Belt drive - 36 wheel, 15 pinion, 105mm wheels

ESC: Flipsky VESC6 Dual

Top speed of 33 when fully charged, and it drops to 29 when its empty. The efficiency drops significantly at high speeds, so I like to keep it around 25 since that is the speed limit, and I pull around 11 amps per side instead of 32 amps per side.

The police don't like me, even though I have working brake lights and a high powered headlight mounted to a picatinny rail on the front. I don't weave between cars or blow through lights, I just act as though I am a car or bike riding on the street. Every time I get stopped, they cant seem to find any laws I am breaking.... :roll: Oh well - I have just started carrying around the city ordnances with me, it makes the process faster.

(The roads have been salty lately, I really need to clean the board - I'm waiting till the end of February just in case it snows again)
Attachments
20201108_203429.jpg
IMG_0264.jpg

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Thats awesome. I enjoy my longboard skateboard for cruising next to my 6 year old on his bike. I've stayed away from the electric ones due to cost but they sure look fun! Nice job! Those stats for speed and range are impressive.

Kevin Morin

Post by Kevin Morin »

18shamic,
totally got me with that header/topic name! I was thinking - OK! someone has built a vibrating long board sander that isn't air powered! I have a couple of the pneumatic long boards for sanding and fairing fairly large slightly curved surfaces but the compressor needed is often more than I want to afford in my electric tool driven shop!

So I thought your post would show us a new sanding tool! ??

thanks for the post- great work on the long board!

cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
Kevin Morin

18shamic

Post by 18shamic »

Sorry to disappoint :D I didn't know they made such a beast - it seems like it would be an incredibly valuable tool.

Thank you!

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

Wow, 30 mph on this thing would be scary!

I really like this idea and want to look into it further in a year or so when I have more time. This old fat boy would need a wider platform, a handlebar to hang onto, and bigger wheels; but, only 20 mph would be all the speed I'd need.

Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Electric Power”