Post by sshamilt@gmail.com »

Nope. Just the motor
Steve

Long time woodworker, first time boat builder

Bill Edmundson

Re: Slither build in GA

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Steve

My Yamaha F115LB cost $12559.18. That includes controls, electronic instrument package and installation. Plus TAX of coarse in 2016. :(

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

sshamilt@gmail.com

I just spoke with a Suzuki rep about the 115 hp. She tells me that the price will range from about 11G for the motor to about 13G with controls, cables, and installation. However they are not allowed to install anything over the coast guard rated max. The slither is listed as 50hp to 165hp. Does that mean that this is the Coast Guard rating?

Also, she said that realistically we are looking at early winter (Jan/Feb) for delivery!! Yamaha told me August which she said was very optimistic. Even the US build Mercuries are way out there in delivery dates.
Steve

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Steve

Just remember that when most of these boats were designed they talked flywheel HP. Engines are now shaft HP. which is a little less. So, 115 HP sounds a little better. 4-stroke engines tend to weigh a little more, too.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

sshamilt@gmail.com

Hey Bill
I think the reduction in HP (flywheel vs shaft) is fine for me as this is my first boat. I am certainly not looking to break any speed records.
Steve

sshamilt@gmail.com

I am fairing the sheer today. In the first picture you can see the sheer comes to a point on the outboard edge.
IMG_20210509_145919058.jpg
But near the bow I have a 1/4 inch flat

Is that ok as long as the siding meets the decking?
IMG_20210509_145933115.jpg
Steve

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Lay your fairing stick on it. If it’s fair, it’s fair no matter what the edge of sheer is doing.
Matt B

sshamilt@gmail.com

Thanks Matt
That means a little more fairing on the port side and I am ready for planking...
Steve

sshamilt@gmail.com

OK. No new pictures as nothing has visibly changed, but the fairing is complete. I just double checked the limbers and screws and joints and etc. and all look ready for the planking. I wish now that I had gone to the lumber yard this morning but it will have to be next Saturday. Just as well since I am out of epoxy.

I just ordered the West System 610 thickened epoxy that dispenses from a caulking tube. It looks promising and I like the idea of applying to the longitudinal with the gun rather than a brush.

Anyway - next weekend I start the planking (at least the pre-fitting anyway!
Steve

sshamilt@gmail.com

I have run into a slight snag in the plans and need some advice. It seems that my supplier of marine plywood in Suwannee GA is no longer carrying 3/8 marine ply and at this time has only 1/2 available with no idea when the next shipment of 1/4 will come in. they had all three sizes in September when I got my framing lumber.
My question is what is the alternative? Can I use exterior grade ply? I do plan to fiberglass the exterior and to encapsulate the interior
Steve

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I think if you encapsulate it and make sure any penetrations are well sealed you should be OK. It may affect the longevity, especially if it sits in water long term. Exterior plywood may have many, larger voids between plys and less plys. This will affect strength and work ability. Personally, I would wait for marine plywood. Try World Panel or other sources.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

sshamilt@gmail.com

Thanks Roberta. Marine is definitely my choice. I was just looking at https://www.mcilvain.com/marine-grade-plywood/. This would have to be shipped I will call them on Monday to see about cost. I will check out World Panel also. Shame both are 8-9 hour drives....
Steve

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Try Homestead. https://www.marine-plywood.us/

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I know shipping is not cheap. When I built the Torpedo, I ordered about 35 sheets. They were 15 to 25 bucks cheaper from World Panel per sheet. The savings covered the shipping, but volume buying doesn't help when you only need a few sheets. Good luck

Where are you located? Some one might chime in with other sources.

Roberta

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I forgot how big the Slither is. Please don't use cheap plywood. Too nice a boat. Check with World Panel and see if you can save by ordering all your plywood at once. They are good people and not too far from Georgia.

Roberta

Return to “Power Boats”