how to clean up bleed thru on masked bottom stripe

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

windancer

how to clean up bleed thru on masked bottom stripe

Post by windancer »

I masked off my hull for the bottom stripe using the green frog tape and do not recommend anyone using this tape. It did a really poor job of preventing bleed thru. I have a lot of bleeding and not sharply defined edges that I need to clean up and am wondering if anyone has a good method of doing so. The bleed thru paint seems uncured for now - very soft and gewy. Tried to remove it using a razor blade, but not working very well. Anyone know a good way of dealing with this problem. Do not want to remask and repaint the bottom stripe. Have already done that once due to a different problem.
Oyster

Re: how to clean up bleed thru on masked bottom stripe

Post by Oyster »

Its also quite possible that the thinners in the paint released some of the glue. I would start by using the thinners that goes with the paint brand but do not know the paint that you used. Next step if the paint is still gummy, you may also try mineral spirits too. Tell us the type of paint just for our own use.

I do think that you may need to dress up the line at some point unless you have a steady hand too. Use some cotton cloth like an old tee shirt.
windancer

Post by windancer »

The paint I'm using is Supermarine paint. I actually got it all cleaned up using a rag with paint thinner and my fingernail. I wrapped my fingernail around the rag soaked with paint hinner and ran my fingernail along both the top and bottom edges of the bottom stripe. It cleaned it all up nicely. Problem solved unil the next one.
jamundsen

Post by jamundsen »

Use the blue vinyl tape from the paint store for striping and tape the green or other tape to that. Its available in 1/8 3/16 1/4 1/2
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building
upspirate

Post by upspirate »

In the future if this happens,you can use a narrow black pin stripe tape to edge the paint break and cover the bleed under if not too severe....not the best advice,but it'll work and it's easy

Return to “Painting”