painting a hobie 14

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

Will regard to the gel coat being yellow ::

The very first thing you do to a production boat (with a female mold) is spray on gelcoat. That gelcoat, whatever color you decide the boat will be, is sprayed directly onto the mold and it becomes the "paint". So when you look at a fiberglas production boat..that boat has never been "painted". Gelcoat is actually a resin product that cures with no air. You actually have to order special air dry gelcoat to make repairs to fiberglass boats..or if you actually want to "paint" the gelcoat on after.

I think that is where the confusion is....most of us on this forum "paint" our boats. Boats that come out of a mold are sprayed with gelcoat which is the paint. You dont generally paint on top of gelcoat, you just repair the gelcoat.

Maybe I am totally confusing this issue. "The beer I had for breakfast wasnt bad, so I had one more for desert."

Steve[/quote]
DanH

Post by DanH »

Check out the Interlux website (www.yachtpaint.com) or any of the major epoxy manufacturer sites. They have a ton of specific how to information that will walk you through the process.
John Bowen

Post by John Bowen »

Good site Dan :wink:
One day.
yankyfan100

Post by yankyfan100 »

yeah ive been all over that website already. Im guessing the previous owner of my boat paitned ontop of the gelcoat so thats what im taking off now, and the gelcoat is what i see.
finally im on the right track. Thanks for the help guys
yankyfan100

Post by yankyfan100 »

what kidna of roller should i use for the primer and anti-fouling?
Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

Short nap foam roller for gloss paint, the foam is just a few millimetres thick and doesn't soak up loads of paint, and doesn't force as many bubbles into the finish as thicker foam rollers do.

FWIW I refinished my father-in-law's GRP cabin cruiser last year, it had previously been painted rather badly, the old paint was very easy to remove as there didn't appear to be a primer/undercoat, and from the glossy gelcoat I don't think it had been sanded to key it either.
Once all the old paint was off (I got most of it off with a scraper, it just peeled off in sheets!) I keyed the whole surface thoroughly with a random orbit sander, then I degreased it with panel wipe and applied two coats of International (Interlux) Pre-kote.
After that it had one coat of 50/50 Pre-kote/Toplac, then two coats of Toplac, all five coats were rolled and tipped and the result really looks like a sprayed finish.
I was lucky and there was no osmosis (blistering) below the waterline, all I had to do was scrape and sand it then apply fresh antifoul.
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.
yankyfan100

Post by yankyfan100 »

what grit sandpaper should i use to finish before painting?

How much surface area can a quart of antifouling paint usually y cover?
John Bowen

Post by John Bowen »

Various, go by what it states on the can. Off hand, I'd say that a quart should do both hulls.
One day.
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I just put on 3 coats of Interlux, VC Performance, bottom paint. Roll & Tip 2 part epoxy with teflon , not anti-foul. Looks good. But, use a respirator and lots of ventilation. And, you only have to sand to 80 grit. :)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
yankyfan100

Post by yankyfan100 »

alright i got another question:
i called interlux and i was almost 100% sure that i would use interprotect and then vc-17 ontop. But then i asked about the color since it is such a thin paint and he said at first it will be a copper color and after a week or so it will turn the color you bought. Does that mean the paint above the waterline will not turn at all? Ive never heard of anything like that.
ahdkgw

Re: painting a hobie 14

Post by ahdkgw »

yankyfan100 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:43 pm Hey, im new here and ive posted my question on a few differnt forums, maybe i can find help here. Heres my question:

I finally want to do soemthign about my hull, its a hobie 14. I already do what your not supposed to do and keep it moored in the water(fresh water lake). Blisters have started to form and paint has started to peel from the hull below the water line(previous owner may have painted it). I did a little research and the best and easiest thing to do is use interlux's VC2 Tar as a primer and then finish with the VC-17 antifouling paint. My plan was to mask off a line a little above the waterline and refinish it from there down. Is this a good idea? I dont want to get into anything more complicated than that. Also on the bottom it is almost down to the fiberglass it seems in some spots(mostly scratches, no big areas). Will the primer and paint take care of that?

i also read here from a search that antifouling paint oxidizes out fo water? i havnt read that anywhere else but on one pst from here. clarification plase?

http://www.iboats.com/products/7/484...tar_2_kit.html (primer)

http://shop.torresen.com/ships_store...ectionid=10189 (paint)

thanks in advance for the input, and please steer me in the right direction! I have no experience with this at all.
That's really cool

Return to “Painting”