Has anyone used Teleflex's Transom Support for Steering?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

areame

Has anyone used Teleflex's Transom Support for Steering?

Post by areame »

I received my Teleflex Safe-T QC® Rotary Steering Kit, and after some talk with a Teleflex rep, I purchased the Teleflex
Transom Support Master Mounting Kit
. The rep said it would work for my outboard, 1957 Evinrude 18 hp, as a connection to the steering cable, but I haven't seen any other builds use this setup before. Has anyone had any experience with this?
DaveLott

Re: Has anyone used Teleflex's Transom Support for Steering?

Post by DaveLott »

It looks very similar to a block support I had to buy for my teleflex cable. I highly recommend either this one or the cast block. Both are designed to hold the cable without pinching. I tried something cheaper and ended up almost stranded on the lake 40 miles from dock.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.
jeffh

Post by jeffh »

I have not used the one you posted, but I do currently have this model on my Malahini. My splash well was just a little too narrow for the output ram of my steering cable. I did not want to make hole on the opposite side of the well for the output ram to extend into, so I bought one of these and it works great.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... DFer6Bhfg0

This is a photo of my steering cable using a tilt tube connection. The output ram would hit the port side of the splash well and the motor could not turn enough.

The mount before final assembly:

After installation. This is not the best photo since the battery cables are blocking a bit of the steering cable:
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc
Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy »

I have just installed one into Gentry. It seems ok, although I'd rather it was the stainless steel version than the painted steel (I don't think painted the bracket itself is aluminium), and I would prefer a ball joint at the rudder arm than the wrap around that is supplied. There is a small amount of end play in it, which I don't much like but I am sure will be fine for the purpose. Instructions are pretty clear, need to make sure you mount it the right way and note that they specify a centre distance (14"?)out from the rudder shaft in my case. I had to make a mounting block at a very odd angle due to the layout I have chosen and the engine stringers at 13" from centre but it worked out ok. I got the whole kit at the right price, otherwise I think I'd have gone for the heavy duty one but it is probably just personal preference and overkill.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....
areame

Post by areame »

Thanks for the info. The clearance is 14" from the center, which for the Squirt is making it a tight fit. I was planning on doing the hole in the motor well like jeffh has done, thanks for the pictures by the way, but I'll see how things fit together tonight and may have to go with a different setup.
ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw »

I had the same one installed on my Malahini before changing to tilt tube steering. It worked well.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Return to “Small outboards”