Bo gest model power engine modification

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

marcl

Bo gest model power engine modification

Post by marcl »

I introduce myself.
My name in Marc,i am from Québec Canada.i am the proud builder of 2 glen l boat .first the cracker box with central engine that i modify with a Omc stern drive engine meaning that the v 8 is now behind me.work very well

for the second boat i built the Bo Gest desing. the engine is a Atomic 4 engine the probleme is the transmission ratio 1 to 1 work very well foward,but a nightmare to backward prop to small in diameter and pitch...problem due the the 1 to 1 ratio.

Now my question i bought a Mercruser 140 hp with a stern drive and i think to remove the Atomic engine( Central),and install the 140 hp on the back of the boat...the question will it work

Thank's in advance
(sorry for the mistake in the text i speak french )

Marc
chugalug

Re: Bo gest model power engine modification

Post by chugalug »

the Bo-Jest design is a displacement hull,not a planing hull.i would think 140 would be overkill.I was originally going to mount my small outboard on an external,heavy duty motormount.instead,I cut out outboard well.some of those new 4 cycle outboards have 25 inch shafts(I have 20 inch) so maybe you could mount on stern without cutting :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Contact/PM Tom Smitherman. I think he ran a 9.9 on his Bo Jest. Tom has run many, many miles of rivers in it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
marcl

Post by marcl »

chugalug wrote:the Bo-Jest design is a displacement hull,not a planing hull.i would think 140 would be overkill.I was originally going to mount my small outboard on an external,heavy duty motormount.instead,I cut out outboard well.some of those new 4 cycle outboards have 25 inch shafts(I have 20 inch) so maybe you could mount on stern without cutting :roll:
<

You are right the Bo jest is adisplacement hull not for speed.the idéa to put a 140 hp is not for speed but to have (spare power)the hull is really hard to stop it take to long to back up for exemple full speed foward neutral renverse it will take at least 5 minutes to begin to back up ...maybe with an outboard engine the performance will be better ..i dont really know

Thank's Chugalug for your post i appréciate !!

Marc
chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D my motor in an older low profile 15 hp evinrude that I used for a few years on my old steel pontoon boat.it's an old trolling motor for big launch.I'm thinking on getting a new 9.9 merc pro-kicker but kinda holding off until I see how the hull floats :D

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Saw a slightly used 9.9 Yamaha motor at the dealer today-couldn't pass it up.4-stroke 9.9 Yamaha high thrust with all the hook-ups cables shifter,power tilt.It's a 25 inch shaft and my motorbox is cut for a 20 so will probably fill in with wood and metal plates :D only a couple years old,I thought it was a new one as there are no scratches :D

Return to “Design Modifications”