a 20' modified sled river runner
RIVER RAT is a jet sled with an advanced underbody for improved performance and handling. The built-in chine flats or rails deflect the spray which makes for a dry boat regardless of the water condition.
The hull can be built in durable fiberglass covered sheet plywood or welded aluminum. Separate plans detail building with aluminum or wood. This design can also be lengthened or shortened about 10% with minor changes, as detailed in the plans and instructions.
The RIVER RAT is powered using the popular water jet pump coupled to an inboard motor, or a conventional or jet outboard. An optional variation on the aluminum plans detail a "shoe" or "ski" flat area along the keel for a jet pump installation. Details are also provided for a stern mounted inboard coupled to an outdrive.
The RIVER RAT can be built as an open hull with center console to provide a huge open cockpit, or an optional version utilizes a slightly longer deck with a windshield and provisions for a folding "navy" top. Both versions are detailed in the plans.
The large scale plans are very complete, providing many enlarged sections and details along with precise information on the simple building form. The complete plan and pattern package comes with full size patterns for framing members; no lofting or dimensional layouts are required. Everything needed to make building your own RIVER RAT easy and quick is included.
- Length overall:
- Hull draft:
- Freeboard forward:
- Freeboard aft:
- Average passengers:
- Hull depth midship:
- Hull weight (approx.):
- 1100 lbs.
- 3040 lbs.
- Cockpit size:
- 13'-6" x 6'-0"
- Hull type:
- Modified sled garvey with 12o deadrise. Developed for sheet plywood or aluminum planking with built-in chine flat spray rail.
- Single or twin long shaft outboard motors; 50 hp minimum, 100 hp will suffice for general use, with higher hp optional. Inboard stern mounted engine coupled to an inboard/outboard or jet pump are optional.
- Max Engine Weight:
- 1000 lbs. An engine in the 300 hp range should be ideal for most purposes. V-drive can also be used but not detailed.
- Can the hull be extended or shortened?:
- Yes. Up to 10% as detailed in the plans. We do not recommend increasing the beam.
- Designed for use with Glen-L Series 3800 boat trailer plans.