For a PDF study plan download, click HERE
There's one way to beat the high cost of boating. Build your own stylish trailerable CATALINA EXPRESS and say goodbye to slip rental fees. Our Frame Kit or Full Size Patterns make the job easier than you might think. Plans include instructions, material listings, and fastening schedule specially intended for amateurs. The sheet plywood hull is easy and cheap to build, resulting in a quality boat with exceptional strength and light weight. This latter quality is especially important for economical cruising and easy trailering.
The hull design is an easily driven, easy riding, full length deep vee. The hard-chine hull with lift strakes is exceptionally dry running even in the sloppiest of conditions. Either an I/O or vee drive inboard can be used for power, gasoline or diesel. The engine sets under the cockpit sole which is flush and self-draining. It's easy to cover the cockpit with a convertible top from the radar bar. The stylish radar bar is functional too, making an ideal mounting location for a radar unit for those who want this feature.
The flying bridge control station is located over the aft cabin which features a 54" wide double berth, sitting headroom, and remarkable privacy for a boat this size. A dual-width seat is provided for the helmsman which is backed up by a complementary lounge seat facing aft. Stepping down the spiral stairs, one enters a cabin featuring 6'+ headroom, even in the fully enclosed toilet room. Here there's space for a shower, with a hanging locker located forward. A fully equipped galley is opposite, with a drop-leaf for additional counter top space. The lounge-dinette forward seats 4 and forms a full width berth 7'-9" long for 2 or 3. All in all, the CATALINA EXPRESS offers accommodations and features seldom associated with a trailerable boat.
|COMPLETE PLANS include FULL SIZE PATTERNS for stem, breasthook, and half-section patterns for the frames and transom. Includes instructions, Bill of Materials, and Fastening Schedule.|
- Length overall:
- Length waterline:
- Hull draft:
- 6015 lbs.
- Hull weight (approx.):
- 1300 lbs.
- Hull depth:
- Freeboard forward:
- Freeboard aft:
- Height overall:
- 6' to 6'-3"
- Cockpit size:
- 10'-9" x 6'-6"
- Fuel capacity:
- 90 gals.
- Fresh water capacity:
- 35 gals.
- Sleeping accommodations:
- Hull type:
- Full length deep vee with 18o min. deadrise, bulbous keel section, and lift strakes. Hard chine hull, developed for sheet plywood planking.
- Stern mounted inboard motor connected to an outdrive or v-drive. Maximum motor weight with outdrive: 850 lbs; with vee drive: 950 lbs. Reduction gear may be required, depending on engine.
- Can the hull be extended or shortened?:
- Extended, No. Can be shortened up to 10% by re-spacing the frames from the aft end of the stem to the transom a proportional amount. We do not recommend increasing the beam.
- Designed for use with Glen-L Series 6000 boat trailer plans.