For a PDF study plan download, click HERE
The JOLLY ROGER has all the character and capabilities of the larger traditionally styled cruising yachts, but in a more compact and economical size. The seaworthy semi-displacement hull of hard chine form is easily driven, requiring only about 25 shaft horsepower for a cruising speed of 7 1/2 knots. And, at this speed, the JOLLY ROGER has the incredible ability to cruise approximately 1000 miles on one loading of fuel when using economical diesel power.
The JOLLY ROGER features a flush raised deck forward which gives high freeboard and a lot of space below in the forward stateroom. The aft hull areas feature full walkaround decks with full height rails and protective bulwark, so that access is possible to both sides of the pilothouse. This pilothouse has a seat for two plus a good sized chart table and shelf space for electronics gear. Adjacent to the stateroom forward is a complete toilet room with shower. There's a dressing table and hanging locker plus generous shelf and storage areas in the stateroom.
The aft cabin sleeps two on the convertible settee. If desired, the builder could provide a standard type dinette in lieu of the settee. Dining is accomplished by using the hinged table which folds up out of the way against the bulkhead when not in use. Warmth in the cabin for year around cruising can be provided by a marine-type fireplace. The galley is self-contained, having a sink, stove, and ice box or refrigerator.
Hull construction is either plywood, using double diagonal planking on the bottom and sheet plywood planking on the topsides, or "one-off" fiberglass using fiberglass planking or foam core sandwich materials and methods. A full length skeg assures directional stability in all sea conditions, and the hull features a bulbous forefoot at the keel for a soft entrance with reverse curve at the chine for dry running.
- Length overall:
- Length waterline:
- Hull draft:
- 10,433 lbs.
- Hull depth:
- Freeboard forward:
- Freeboard aft:
- Height overall:
- 6'-1" to 6'-5"
- Cockpit size:
- 5'-10" x 9'-6"
- Cockpit depth:
- Fuel capacity:
- 190 gals.
- Fresh water capacity:
- 120 gals.
- Cruising range:
- 1000 miles
- Sleeping accommodations:
- Hull type:
- Semi-displacement hard chine hull with practical cruising speed of 7 1/2 knots. Build in plywood or "one-off" fiberglass. Bottom features deep bulbous forefoot with reverse curve at the chine.
- Plywood construction:
- double diagonal plywood planking on the bottom to a total thickness of 3/4", sheet plywood sides to 1/2". Topsides feature broad flare with raised deck forward.
- Fiberglass construction:
- Fiberglass version utilizes fiberglass planking or PVC foam or balsa core sandwich construction.
- Single diesel engine recommended of approximately 25 continuous shaft horsepower for 7 1/2 knot cruising speed. However, a reserve of approximately 50% additional power is recommended to offset adverse wind and sea conditions.
- Can the hull be extended or shortened?:
- Yes. Up to 10% by re-spacing the frames from the aft end of the stem to the transom a proportional amount. We do not recommend increasing the beam.