a 9' J Class runabout
Small in size, but big on thrills, "J" class boats are capable of straightaway speeds of 35 mph. In a small boat like this, such speeds can provide all the excitement of much higher speeds in larger craft. With a hull weight of about 85 lbs., our CLASS J runabout is easy to car-top to the local pond. Note that the beam is carried to its widest point at the transom to provide reserve buoyancy for safety in starting and for quicker acceleration. Wide flaring sides prevent tripping on the wake of another boat in fast turns for that extra degree of safety so important in a class of racing where many young people are involved.
For real fun for kids and adults, this mini speed boat is an ideal pleasure boat that offers safety and thrills at a reasonable price. Construction using either our Plans and Full Size Patterns or a Frame Kit and Plans is well within the abilities of most first time builders.
- Length overall:
- Hull depth:
- 12 1/4"
- Hull weight (approx.)::
- 85 lbs.
- Racing weight min. (boat, driver, & motor)::
- 245 lbs.
- Class racing division::
- "J" racing runabout(This class is no longer active.)
- Hull type:
- Features high speed monoplane bottom with wide, flaring, anti-trip chine sides. Canted decks combined with wedge-shaped planform minimizes frontal resistance. All surfaces are developed for sheet plywood planking for minimum hull weight.
- Short shaft outboard motor up to and including 7.5 cu. in. (For pleasure use: 7.5 hp)
- Can the hull be extended or shortened?:
- Yes. Up to 10% by re-spacing the frames from the aft end of the stem to the transom a proportional amount. We do not recommend increasing the beam.