A Zippy High Speed Deluxe Classic Sport Runabout
"Using a handheld GPS or the GPS app on my cell phone I have recorded a consistent top speed between 32 and 33 mph when I’m driving solo. The boat handles like a dream..."—From article in WoodenBoat magazine's Small Boats.
ZIP is a high speed, deluxe sport runabout in the classic style. She furnishes all of the flashing speed, thrills, and performance that one could hope for. Ideally suited for towing water skiers or showing the local lads a clean pair of heels ZIP can also be finished as a utility with a large open cockpit for fishing or general use. With her flaring sides, she is very dry. The bottom design allows for quick starts and excellent performance, with a generous vee forward to cushion the ride. A roomy 5'-9" beam assures stability.
COMPLETE PLANS include FULL SIZE PATTERNS for the stem, breasthook, transom knee, and half-section patterns for each of the frames and transom. Includes instructions and Bill of Materials.
*Zip will require approximately 8 sheets of 1/4" and 1 sheet of 3/4" plywood (4x8), but click on the Materials tab above to download the detailed Bill of Materials.
The Full ZipKit Contains:
Pre-cut solid African Mahogany:
- Frames, ready to assemble
- Keel, bottom & deck battens and strongbacks
- Carlings, chines and sheers
Precision machined from Aquatek Meranti Marine grade plywood with unique interlocking flame joints where required:
- Pre-fit Bottom & side planking
- Transom, stem, breasthook, chine blocking, floor timbers and knees
- Reversible deck panels; one side routed with faux caulk joints, the other side smooth, giving you the choice of style you prefer.
- Frame gussets
Shipping Crate transforms into the building form!
Includes Glen-L Zip plans, instructions and "Build it Yourself the Glen-L Way" manual and instructions on using your ZipKit.
This custom kit was developed using Glen-L Zip plans by Mark Molden of Benchmark Products in California. His precision CNC cut complete wood kit allows you to begin assembling your boat the minute you unpack it...no tracing, measuring or cutting needed!
- Build Time: approximately 400 hours
- Cost: $4921 plus $700 truck freight shipping to the 48 contiguous US states (485 pounds total)
Order the Glen-L Zip Fastening Kit, Carriage Bolt Kit, System Three Gel Magic 1.5 quart adhesive and the Fiberglass Kit for all the materials you'll need to put the ZipKit together.
Kit Weights and dimensions--If you wish to arrange shipping for this kit outside the US 48, please use these details--you will have to make all of the shipping arrangements on your own as we only handle shipments within the US. Please email us if you wish to do this:
(1) Crate - 43" X 95.75" X 11" @ 445 lbs., Class 70
(1) Cardboard tube - 6" Diameter X 182" @ 48 lbs., Class 85 OVER LENGTH
LTL Origin - 92683
See our online Gallery for numerous photos of the kit and build process using the kit by clicking the links below.
- Length overall:
- Hull depth:
- Average passengers:
- Hull weight (approx.):
- 375 lbs.
- Hull type:
- Vee bottom hard chine hull developed for sheet plywood planking.
- Short shaft outboard motor to 40 hp. Long shaft motor can be used if transom modified.
- Can the hull be extended or shortened?:
- Extend: No. Shorten: Yes, up to 10% by re-spacing the frames from the aft end of the stem to the transom a proportional amount. We do not recommend increasing the beam.
- Designed for use with Glen-L Series 1000 boat trailer plans.