A 17' deep vee cruiser
"Performance has been very rewarding. Without doubt, the Mercury 60hp outboard works well and can lift the boat onto the plane with little effort." from article by Kevin Blake in Practical Boat Owner 2022.
Dance over the waves to the tune of the CARIOCA. The full 18 degree deep vee cushions the chop and makes cruising the local waters a waltz. Although deep vee, the lift strakes stabilize the hull so even at a slow tempo, the hull will be stable. Open the throttle to a full beat and you'll glide across the crests like a smooth tango.
The CARIOCA has all of the required facilities for cruising: Two wide, roomy, full length vee berths, a galley area, and space for a head. The ballroom size cockpit provides plenty of extra room for any type of water sport whether it be fishing, scuba diving, or just plain fun on the water. With the proper power, she makes an excellent ski boat in addition to her fine cruising abilities. Why don't you stop shuffling... pick up those feet and swing into the construction of the CARIOCA, a wonderful hobby project, both to build and to use.
COMPLETE PLANS include FULL SIZE PATTERNS for stem, breasthook, and half-section patterns for the frames and transom, plus the specifc Cabin Pattern. Includes instructions, Bill of Materials, and Fastening Schedule.
- Length overall:
- Hull draft:
- Hull depth:
- Hull weight (approx.):
- 750 lbs.
- Height overall:
- Cabin headroom:
- Cockpit size:
- 6' x 6'-6"
- Sleeping accommodations:
- Hull type:
- Full length deep vee with lift strakes, approx. 18o deadrise at the transom, developed for sheet plywood planking.
- Single or twin long shaft outboard motor to 135 hp total. Single stern mounted inboard motor to 500 lbs., connected to an outdrive.
- Can the hull be extended or shortened?:
- Yes. Up to 10% by re-spacing the frames from the aft end of the stem to the transom a proportional amount. We do not recommend increasing the beam.
- Designed for use with Glen-L Series 1700 boat trailer plans.