a 23' power fishing dory
The HUNKY DORY is a type of powered fishing dory that evolved on the Pacific coast where boats of this type are commonly used for pleasure and commercial fishing. This trailerable craft is quickly and easily launched directly into the surf due to its abruptly raised bow and broad flaring topsides. The dory hull has tremendous load carrying ability while the flat bottom assures a stable boat when loaded. The wide open hull allows unrestricted movement for easy gear handling and versatility. The boat can be outfitted with control console, seating, fish holds, bait tanks, or any manner necessary to suit the special requirements of the owner. There are several Dory Cabin Plans available from Glen-L that can be adapted to the HUNKY DORY.
While this may seem to be a specialized craft, the virtues can readily be appreciated where shallow draft operation is necessary, ease of beaching required, or where rapid river running is a prerequisite. The well-mounted outboard makes beach launching and retrieving easy and safe, and does not interfere with fishing gear as the motor can "kick-up" entirely within the boat. However, options are shown on the plans for transom-mounted outboards as well as stern-mounted inboard engines driving through an outdrive or jet pump. In any case, the hull drives easily with minimum power and maximum economy.
The HUNKY DORY is also quick, easy, and inexpensive to build. Virtually all bevels can be pre-cut so that little fairing is required. The hull uses 12 straight contoured frames, and 12 sheets of standard 4' x 8' plywood. No steam bending or lofting is required and material waste is minimal. The 1/2" plywood bottom has inner and outer bottom strakes for stiffness and protection, while the 3/8" plywood sides feature husky rub rails at critical points. The craft can be increased or decreased in length by up to 3' by simply adding or deleting one or two of the duplicate aft frames or by re-spacing them a proportional amount. The HUNKY DORY is also available for aluminum construction.
The instructions cover all phases of contruction including material listings, fastening schedule, and full size patterns for all frame members. She is truly a tough, durable boat well within the budget and abilities of just about any fisherman.
See Little Hunk and Big Hunk for larger and smaller versions of the HUNKY DORY.
- Length overall (standard):
- Length overall (inboard):
- Hull weight (approx.):
- 1000 lbs.
- Hull depth forward:
- Hull depth aft:
- Bottom width:
- Minimum recommended power:
- 30 hp
- Maximum engine/drive weight:
- 700 lbs.
- Single well-mounted outboard standard. Transom mounted single or twin outboards optional. Short shaft motors not recommended. Inboard driving through outdrive or jet pump optional.
- Hull type:
- Flat bottom dory-type hull aft. Developed for sheet plywood planking with outer rub strakes.
- Can the hull be extended or shortened?:
- Yes. Up to 3' by re-spacing the frames from the aft end of the stem to the transom a proportional amount, or by adding an additional frame. We do not recommend increasing the beam.
- Designed for use with Glen-L Series 3800 boat trailer plans.