an 18' power fishing dory
The LITTLE HUNK is the smallest of our powered fishing dories; commonly called Pacific dories. It can be launched directly into the surf by virtue of its raised bow and broad flaring topsides. Like our other power dories and dories in general, LITTLE HUNK has tremendous load carrying ability while the flat bottom assures a stable boat when loaded. The wide open hull allows unrestricted movement and is readily adapted to a variety of uses. Cabins and center consoles, fish holds, bait tanks, or other accessories can easily be added.
The shallow draft and stable flat bottom makes an ideal dive or fishing boat that can get into places that deep vees and other hulls cannot. The well-mounted outboard makes beach launching and retrieving easy and safe, while keeping the motor entirely within the boat when "kicked up". The well-mounted outboard also allows for working nets, setting lobster pots, or handling fish without worrying about tangling the lines around a transom mounted outboard. For those with other applications, the plans detail an optional transom-mounted outboard as well as stern-mounted inboard engines driving through an outdrive or jet pump. The hull drives easily with minimum power and maximum economy.
The simple hull shape makes building easier and quicker than other designs in this size range. Virtually all bevels can be pre-cut so that little fairing is required. The contours of the frames are straight and planking is simple sheet plywood. No steam bending or lofting is required and material waste is minimal. The LITTLE HUNK can be increased or decreased in length by up to 3' by simply adding or deleting one or two of the duplicate aft frames.
The plans include instructions, material listings, and fastening schedule, as well as Full Size Patterns, which make LITTLE HUNK, as well as the larger Hunky Dory or Big Hunk, well suited to the first-time builder. These are tough, durable boats well within the budget and ability of just about any fisherman.
- Length overall (standard):
- Length overall (inboard):
- Hull weight (approx.):
- 700 lbs.
- Hull depth forward:
- Hull depth aft:
- Bottom width:
- Minimum recommended power:
- 25 hp
- Maximum engine/drive weight:
- 500 lbs.
- Single well-mounted or transom mounted outboard standard. Short shaft motors not recommended. Inboard driving through outdrive or jet pump optional.
- Hull type:
- Flat bottom dory-type hull aft. Developed for sheet plywood planking with outer rub strakes.
- Can the hull be extended or shortened?:
- Yes. Up to 3' by re-spacing the frames from the aft end of the stem to the transom a proportional amount, or by adding an additional frame. We do not recommend increasing the beam.
- Designed for use with Glen-L Series 1700 boat trailer plans.